1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rate of cooling given a direction and speed

1. Oct 2, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Captain Ralph is in trouble near the sunny side of Mercury.
    The temperature of the ship's hull when he is at location (x; y; z) will be given by T=e^(-x²-2y²-3z²). He is currently at (1,1,1).
    a)In which direction should Ralph go to cool the fastest?

b) If the ship can travel at a speed of e^8, what will be the rate of cooling?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    a) The direction he should go would be the negative of the gradient, which I got to be (2e^-6, 4e^-6, 5e^-6). Easy.

b) Here's where I got lost. the answers online (source http://www.cds.caltech.edu/~marsden/wiki/uploads/math1c-08/assignments/homework_sol3.pdf) say just take the gradient and multiply it by the speed. My question is, shouldn't we need to take a unit vector in the direction of the gradient?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2012 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Given a curve ##\vec R(t) = \langle x(t),y(t),z(t)\rangle## and temperature ##T(x,y,z)## you want to use the chain rule to calculate the rate of change of ##T##:$$
    \frac{dT}{dt} = T_x\frac {dx}{dt} +T_y\frac{dy}{dt}+T_z\frac {dz}{dt}
    =\nabla T\cdot \vec R'(t)$$

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook