Rate of energy dissipated by a power transmission line

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of energy dissipation in a power transmission line using the equations P= V^2/R and P= I^2*R. The correct answer is determined to be 3.7 MW using the given values of current and resistance, as the voltage drop along the wires is not provided.
hidemi
Homework Statement
A power transmission line carries 400A of current at a voltage of 765 kV. If the line has a resistance of 29 μΩ/m, what is the rate at which energy is being dissipated in 800 km of line?

a.) 0 W
b.) 3.7 kW
c.) 310 kW
d.) 3.7 MW
e.) 310 MW

The answer is D.
Relevant Equations
Power = V^2/R = I^2*R
VR = IR
= 400 [ 29*10^-6 * 800 * 10^3 ]
= 9280

P = IV
= 400*9280
= 3.7 MW

I was able to calculate the correct answer from the above, but why can't I use the equation P= V^2 / R?

Physics news on Phys.org
hidemi said:
VR = IR

I was able to calculate the correct answer from the above, but why can't I use the equation P= V^2 / R?
You mean V=IR.

What voltage did you use in V^2/R? If 765kV, what two points is that the voltage difference for?

Likes hidemi
hidemi said:
Homework Statement:: A power transmission line carries 400A of current at a voltage of 765 kV. If the line has a resistance of 29 μΩ/m, what is the rate at which energy is being dissipated in 800 km of line?

a.) 0 W
b.) 3.7 kW
c.) 310 kW
d.) 3.7 MW
e.) 310 MW

The answer is D.
Relevant Equations:: Power = V^2/R = I^2*R

Because you weren't given the voltage drop along the wires. You were given the current I and the resistance -- that is enough to calculate the power loss along the wire.

Likes hidemi
Thank you all.

Likes berkeman

What is the definition of rate of energy dissipated by a power transmission line?

The rate of energy dissipated by a power transmission line refers to the amount of energy lost as heat per unit time as electricity is transmitted through the line. It is commonly measured in watts (W) or kilowatts (kW).

What factors affect the rate of energy dissipation in a power transmission line?

The rate of energy dissipation in a power transmission line is affected by several factors, including the type and length of the transmission line, the material it is made of, the current flowing through it, and the environmental conditions such as temperature and humidity.

How is the rate of energy dissipation calculated for a power transmission line?

The rate of energy dissipation can be calculated by multiplying the square of the current flowing through the transmission line by its resistance. It can also be calculated by measuring the voltage drop across the line and the current flowing through it, and then using Ohm's law (P=VI) to calculate the power dissipated.

Why is it important to consider the rate of energy dissipation in power transmission lines?

The rate of energy dissipation is important to consider in power transmission lines because it affects the efficiency of the transmission system. Higher rates of energy dissipation can result in significant energy losses, leading to higher costs and environmental impacts. It is also important for safety reasons as excessive heat dissipation can damage the transmission line and surrounding infrastructure.

How can the rate of energy dissipation be reduced in power transmission lines?

There are several ways to reduce the rate of energy dissipation in power transmission lines, including using higher voltage levels, using more efficient transmission materials, minimizing the length of the transmission line, and implementing better insulation and cooling systems. Regular maintenance and upgrades can also help to reduce energy losses in power transmission lines.