Rates of change: inflated hot-air balloon

  • Thread starter Thread starter jackscholar
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Balloon Change
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
jackscholar
Messages
73
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


An inflated hot air balloon can be considered as a perfect sphere woth diameter of 30m. When the hatch is opened, the hot air is lost at a rate of 118m^3/s. For the first 5 seconds, the balloon maintains its spherical shape, but then it begins to collapse. At what rate is the diameter decreasing after 3 seconds? How long does the balloon take to completely collapse?

I know this is a chain rule question where dV/dt=118m^3/s and I'm not sure how to relate that to the diameter? I know that, because dV/dt is part of the equation the equation is either dV/dt=dV/dD*dD/dt where D is the diameter or the equation dD/dt=dD/dV*dV/dt or am I going about this the completely wrong way and have to get everything in terms of the radius?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Then, what is the volume of a sphere in terms of its diameter?