1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rates of change: inflated hot-air balloon

1. Jun 10, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An inflated hot air balloon can be considered as a perfect sphere woth diameter of 30m. When the hatch is opened, the hot air is lost at a rate of 118m^3/s. For the first 5 seconds, the balloon maintains its spherical shape, but then it begins to collapse. At what rate is the diameter decreasing after 3 seconds? How long does the balloon take to completely collapse?

I know this is a chain rule question where dV/dt=118m^3/s and I'm not sure how to relate that to the diameter? I know that, because dV/dt is part of the equation the equation is either dV/dt=dV/dD*dD/dt where D is the diameter or the equation dD/dt=dD/dV*dV/dt or am I going about this the completely wrong way and have to get everything in terms of the radius?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 10, 2013 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

do you know the formula for the volume of a sphere in terms of the radius?

4. Jun 10, 2013 #3
    4/3∏r^3

5. Jun 10, 2013 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Then, what is the volume of a sphere in terms of its diameter?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted