Ratio of a ray of light with a refracted ray

In summary, the conversation discusses the ratio of lengths of two light rays passing through a glass slab and how it relates to the refractive index. It is determined that the ratio is not equal to the refractive index unless the incident and refraction angles are complementary or at the Brewster angle.
anantchowdhary
Hey sum1 please tell me that :

if d1=Ray of light through a glass slab(dotted line ie extension of unrefracted ray)

and if d2=Refracted ray

is d1/d2=mu(refractive index)

Physics news on Phys.org
How do you divide two light rays? What kind of quantity are [itex]d_1[/itex] and [itex]d_2[/itex]? Angle, distance, wavelength, whatever? :confused:

d1 is the length of the unrefracted ray(extension of the incident ray into the glass slab) .d2 is the length of refracted ray

Please help!

Friend ! u r saying that what's the ratio of lengths of rays - the extended incident one and the refracted one...in normal diagram u join the initial rays such that triangle formed by normal & inc. ext. =~ triangle by normal & incident(initial) ray...now...apply geo. u get d1/d2 =sin(90-r) / sin(90-i) which is not equal to mu...as angles formed are i & r & not their complements...

ofcourse i kno that...but that's wat happens when u do it experimentally

I am sure the angles u took in experiments was pi/4..45...and students often take it...

Well no...this was in two different cases

Length of a ray? How do you define that?

Well...if u sketch the path of light...and then measure the length it covered
before exiting the slab

So they are not true.

Call h be the thickness of the slab, then

d1=h/cosi
d2=h/cosr

where i and r are initial and refraction angles

It's clear that d1/d2=cosr/cosi, while n=sini/sinr

They are equal only if sinrcosr=sinicosi or i+r=90 degrees

or tani=n

Just true at Brewster angle!

Last edited:

What is the ratio of a ray of light with a refracted ray?

The ratio of a ray of light with a refracted ray is known as the refractive index. It is the measure of how much a material can bend light as it passes through it.

How is the ratio of a ray of light with a refracted ray calculated?

The ratio of a ray of light with a refracted ray is calculated by dividing the speed of light in a vacuum by the speed of light in the material. This gives us the refractive index of the material.

What factors affect the ratio of a ray of light with a refracted ray?

The ratio of a ray of light with a refracted ray is affected by the density and composition of the material. The denser the material, the slower the speed of light will be, resulting in a higher refractive index.

Why is the ratio of a ray of light with a refracted ray important?

The ratio of a ray of light with a refracted ray is important because it helps us understand how light behaves when it passes through different materials. It also allows us to create lenses and other optical instruments that can manipulate light for various purposes.

How does the ratio of a ray of light with a refracted ray impact our daily lives?

The ratio of a ray of light with a refracted ray impacts our daily lives in many ways. It is the reason why we can see objects through water or glasses, and why we use lenses in cameras and telescopes. It also plays a crucial role in industries such as medicine, telecommunications, and manufacturing.