1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ratio of a ray of light with a refracted ray

1. Jan 20, 2007 #1
    Hey sum1 please tell me that :

if d1=Ray of light through a glass slab(dotted line ie extension of unrefracted ray)

and if d2=Refracted ray

is d1/d2=mu(refractive index)
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2007 #2

Staff: Mentor

How do you divide two light rays? What kind of quantity are [itex]d_1[/itex] and [itex]d_2[/itex]? Angle, distance, wavelength, whatever? :confused:
  4. Jan 20, 2007 #3
    d1 is the length of the unrefracted ray(extension of the incident ray into the glass slab) .d2 is the length of refracted ray
  5. Jan 20, 2007 #4
    Please help!
  6. May 7, 2007 #5
    Friend ! u r saying that what's the ratio of lengths of rays - the extended incident one and the refracted one......in normal diagram u join the initial rays such that triangle formed by normal & inc. ext. =~ triangle by normal & incident(initial) ray.....now....apply geo. u get d1/d2 =sin(90-r) / sin(90-i) which is not equal to mu...as angles formed are i & r & not their complements....
  7. May 7, 2007 #6
    ofcourse i kno that.....but thats wat happens when u do it experimentally
  8. May 7, 2007 #7
    I am sure the angles u took in experiments was pi/4..45....and students often take it....
  9. May 8, 2007 #8
    Well no...this was in two different cases
  10. May 8, 2007 #9
    Length of a ray? How do you define that?
  11. May 8, 2007 #10
    Well.....if u sketch the path of light...and then measure the length it covered
    before exiting the slab
  12. May 8, 2007 #11
    So they are not true.

Call h be the thickness of the slab, then

where i and r are initial and refraction angles

It's clear that d1/d2=cosr/cosi, while n=sini/sinr

They are equal only if sinrcosr=sinicosi or i+r=90 degrees

or tani=n

Just true at Brewster angle!
    Last edited: May 9, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?