1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ratio of angular speed with conservation of energy

1. May 7, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    1. A ball rolls down an incline plane without slipping. What is the ratio of its angular velocity at h/3 to its angular velocity at 2h/3?
      1) 1:2
    2. 2) 1:sqrt(2)
    3. 3) 1:1
    4. 4) sqrt(2):1
    5. 5) 2:1

2. Relevant equations
    Conservation of energy with provisions for rotational and translational motion.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Hi everyone!

I got this funky problem today. Here's what I tried to do:

at h/3 I have potential energy resulting from lowering the ball a height of 2*h/3 that is converted to kinetic energy.

Thus, I did the following
    m * g * (2h/3) = [(1 / 2) * m * v^2] + [(1 / 2 ) * I * omega^2]
    m * g * (2h/3) = [(1 / 2) * m * v^2] + [(1 / 2 ) * (2 / 5) * m * r^2 * (v^2 / r^2)]

Rearrange to get an expression with v, and then substitute v = r * omega to get
    (20 * h * g)/ (21 * r^2) = omega^2 for the h/3 height

OK. then I said that at height 2h/3 I have potential energy from descending h/3 converted to kinetic energy
    m * g * (h/3) = [(1 / 2) * m * v^2] + [(1 / 2 ) * I * omega^2]
    m * g * (h/3) = [(1 / 2) * m * v^2] + [(1 / 2 ) * (2 / 5) * m * r^2 * (v^2 / r^2)]

Rearrange to get an expression with v and then substitute v = r * omega to get
    (10 * g * h) / (21 * r^2 ) = omega squared.

Thus, my ratio would have been for the two omega squared terms to be:
    (20 * h * g)/ (21 * r^2) = omega^2 for the h/3 height : (10 * g * h) / (21 * r^2 ) = omega squared. for the 2h/3 height

Simplifying the ratio for the omega squared gives 20 : 10 -----> 2:1.
    Taking the square root to compare just for the omegas gives sqrt(2) : 1.

Thus, I got 4. The answer according to the writers is 2.

Why is this the case?

Thanks a lot for the help in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. May 7, 2016 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

It's not entirely clear what "at h/3" means. Is that h/3 from the bottom or from the top? Is there any further information that clarifies this?

4. May 7, 2016 #3
    They did not provide any information. I believe that 'h' corresponds to the height at which the ball is initially launched on the ramp.

5. May 7, 2016 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Sure, but that still doesn't nail down the meaning of "at h/3". It could still be measured from top or from bottom. Measured from bottom, your answer is correct.

6. May 7, 2016 #5
    I have no idea... these authors write really crummy questions, which does not help as I have a final on monday. :-(

7. May 7, 2016 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

So you quoted the question exactly as given to you, word for word, and there is no diagram?

8. May 7, 2016 #7
    Yes, sir!

9. May 7, 2016 #8
    Yes, sir! I just assumed they had a ramp at an arbitrary angle, with it vertically ascending "h".

10. May 7, 2016 #9

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Well, either they were thinking of h/3 etc. as descent, i.e. measured from the top, or they messed up and gave the wrong answer.

11. May 7, 2016 #10
    OK, thanks so much for helping and confirming what I did. Really appreciated!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted