Ratio of Space Average Velocity to Time Average Velocity?

  • Thread starter Thread starter ritwik06
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
14 replies · 10K views
ritwik06
Messages
577
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A particle starts from rest with constant acceleration. Find the ratio of space average velocity with time average velocity.


Explain to me the underlined words in order that I may proceed to solve this problem.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
ritwik06 said:

Homework Statement


A particle starts from rest with constant acceleration. Find the ratio of space average velocity with time average velocity.


Explain to me the underlined words in order that I may proceed to solve this problem.

Try writing out the equations for V as a function of t and V as a function of x. Then perhaps you can arrive at what taking the average over each function might yield?
 
LowlyPion said:
Try writing out the equations for V as a function of t and V as a function of x. Then perhaps you can arrive at what taking the average over each function might yield?

v=kt

and v^2=2kx

where t is time
x is displacement
and k is the constant acceleration
now what shall I do?
 
ritwik06 said:
I know about time average velocity. But what is Space average velocity?

You have V(x) over the distance X in the same way that you have V(t) over T for how you might figure the time average velocity. You don't think you can come up with an expression for the distance averaged V?
 
LowlyPion said:
You have V(x) over the distance X in the same way that you have V(t) over T for how you might figure the time average velocity. You don't think you can come up with an expression for the distance averaged V?

Time Average velocity is total displacement/ total time

Is distance average velocity? total distance / total displacement ? I really have no idea. Please help!
 
ritwik06 said:
Time Average velocity is total displacement/ total time

Is distance average velocity? total distance / total displacement ? I really have no idea. Please help!

Can you derive the statement that
"Time Average velocity is total displacement/ total time"?
You may wish to first consider a simpler situation in which your total trip has just two velocities:
v1 for time-interval t1, and then v2 for time-interval t2.
 
robphy said:
Can you derive the statement that
"Time Average velocity is total displacement/ total time"?
You may wish to first consider a simpler situation in which your total trip has just two velocities:
v1 for time-interval t1, and then v2 for time-interval t2.

Yup, I have done that. All I need to know is what is distance averaged velocity?
 
Example: For 2km I go at a velocity 30m/s, then for 1km, I go at a velocity 15m/s. The distance-averaged velocity would be (2x30m/s+1x15m/s)/3=25m/s.

The time-averaged velocity will be smaller than 25m/s, as I go an equal amount of time at the two different speeds: the time-averaged velocity is (30+15)/2 m/s=22.5 m/s.
 
ritwik06 said:
Yup, I have done that. All I need to know is what is distance averaged velocity?

OK. If Time averaged velocity is given by:

[tex]V_{Tavg} = \frac{1}{T}\int_{0}^{T} V_{(t)} dt[/tex]

Then won't the distance averaged velocity be given by:

[tex]V_{Xavg} = \frac{1}{X}\int_{0}^{X} V_{(x)} dx[/tex]

Now you have already supplied V as a function of x and V as a function of t.

So ...
 
borgwal said:
Example: For 2km I go at a velocity 30m/s, then for 1km, I go at a velocity 15m/s. The distance-averaged velocity would be (2x30m/s+1x15m/s)/3=25m/s.

The time-averaged velocity will be smaller than 25m/s, as I go an equal amount of time at the two different speeds: the time-averaged velocity is (30+15)/2 m/s=22.5 m/s.

[tex]<v>=\frac{1}{X}\int_{0}^{X} V(x) dx[/tex]
right?
But the thing is that the X is not eliminated!
 
ritwik06 said:
But the thing is that the X is not eliminated!

T wasn't eliminated either.
 
If I understood the problem correctly, it appears that the ratio desired is a dimensionless factor... a simple fraction.
 
lowlypion said:
t wasn't eliminated either.

solved[/color]