Ratio volume of cylinder inside cone

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 9K views
songoku
Messages
2,520
Reaction score
395

Homework Statement


Show that the volume of an upright cylinder that can be inscribe in an upright cone is 4/9 times the volume of cone


Homework Equations


volume of cone
volume of cylinder
differentiation ??
similarity of triangle


The Attempt at a Solution


I draw the picture of cylinder inside a cone and by using similarity of triangle I got:
(H-h) / h = r / R
where: H = height of cone, h = height of cylinder, r = radius of cylinder, R = radius of cone

But I can't find the answer. The final form I can get is:
Vcylinder / Vcone = 3 (H - h)2/(Hh)

I encountered this problem in differentiation chapter. How to use differentiation to solve this problem?

Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
yes, you are correct using similarity of triangle. After that you have to use the differentiation to optimize cylinder's volume, [tex]dV_c = 0[/tex].

Subsitute for h from the ratio into above eqn, to get the radius of cylinder.

and, finally you can proof it the ratio for cylinder's volume to cone.
 
lepton5 said:
yes, you are correct using similarity of triangle. After that you have to use the differentiation to optimize cylinder's volume, [tex]dV_c = 0[/tex].

Subsitute for h from the ratio into above eqn, to get the radius of cylinder.

and, finally you can proof it the ratio for cylinder's volume to cone.

From (H-h) / h = r / R ==> r = R (H-h) / h

Vcylinder=πr2h , substitute r from above equation
=πR2(H-h)2 / h

Assume R and H are constant and differentiating with respect to h
dV / dh = 0
-2πR2(H-h)h - πR2(H-h)2=0

After a little work, -h = H ? :cry:
 
It's more simple if you substitue for h, since h in eqn of cylinder volume is not quadratic form.

so subs [tex]h = H - \frac{H}{R} . r[/tex] to volume of cylinder.


then optimize it, the differential is more simple with this way.
 
lepton5 said:
It's more simple if you substitue for h, since h in eqn of cylinder volume is not quadratic form.

so subs [tex]h = H - \frac{H}{R} . r[/tex] to volume of cylinder.


then optimize it, the differential is more simple with this way.

I can't find the answer because the my equation obtained from similarity of triangle is different than yours. I don't know how to obtain your equation. Can you explain it a little bit more because from similarity I got (H-h) / h = r / R

Thanks
 
use this one, [tex]\frac{H - h}{H} = \frac{r}{R}[/tex].


you are wrong when you use h as denominator at left side, since you have equate it with R (radius of cone) you must also use H (height of cone).

can you see : big triangle vs little triangle (from top of cone).
 
lepton5 said:
use this one, [tex]\frac{H - h}{H} = \frac{r}{R}[/tex].


you are wrong when you use h as denominator at left side, since you have equate it with R (radius of cone) you must also use H (height of cone).

can you see : big triangle vs little triangle (from top of cone).

Ahh, why don't I realize it. Thanks :smile: