Volume of cylinder bounded by two dependent planes, ideas?

I was using a different method and came up with a different value.In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the volume bounded by a cylinder and two planes. The solution involves using triple integrals in cylindrical coordinates and determining the bounds for the z and theta values. The shape is a twisted cylindrical wedge and the final answer for the volume is (4 * √(2)) / 3.
dude899

Homework Statement

[/B]
Calculate the volume bounded by the plane/cylinder x^2+y^2=1 and the planes x+z=1 and y-z=-1.

Homework Equations

/ The attempt at a solution[/B]

It is pretty basic triple integral in cylindrical coordinates. For some reason, I can't get the right answer. I'm using bounds: 1-x ≤ z ≤ y + 1, -3π/4 ≤ θ ≤ π/4, 0 ≤ r ≤ 1.

The shape is a cylindrical wedge of sorts but it is so twisted I'm not sure this is correct. Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
dude899 said:

Homework Statement

[/B]
Calculate the volume bounded by the plane/cylinder x^2+y^2=1 and the planes x+z=1 and y-z=-1.

Homework Equations

/ The attempt at a solution[/B]

It is pretty basic triple integral in cylindrical coordinates. For some reason, I can't get the right answer. I'm using bounds: 1-x ≤ z ≤ y + 1, -3π/4 ≤ θ ≤ π/4, 0 ≤ r ≤ 1.

The shape is a cylindrical wedge of sorts but it is so twisted I'm not sure this is correct. Any ideas?

This is a tricky problem. The problem is that the two planes cross each other inside the cylinder. If you set the z values equal you get ##y = -x##. If you look at the projection in the ##xy## plane that line divides the circle into two regions, $$-\frac \pi 4 \le \theta \le \frac {3\pi} 4 \text{ and }\frac {3\pi} 4 \le \theta \le \frac{7\pi} 4$$I think you will find that in the first region ##z=1+y## is the upper surface and in the second region ##z=1-x## is the upper surface. Work out the integrals for those two cases and see if that helps.

Edit, added: Here's a picture. It isn't oriented in the usual direction in order to get a nice view of it. But you can see the shape of it:
picture.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, so I get that the volume would then be Vtot = V1 + V2 = (2 * √(2)) / 3 + (2 * √(2)) / 3 = (4 * √(2)) / 3

Is this correct, does someone get different answers?

dude899 said:
Ok, so I get that the volume would then be Vtot = V1 + V2 = (2 * √(2)) / 3 + (2 * √(2)) / 3 = (4 * √(2)) / 3

Is this correct, does someone get different answers?

Not quite what I got. Let's see your integrals.
[Edit] Woops! Cancel that. I agree with your answers.

1. What is the formula for finding the volume of a cylinder bounded by two dependent planes?

The formula for finding the volume of a cylinder bounded by two dependent planes is V = πr2h, where r is the radius of the base of the cylinder and h is the distance between the two planes.

2. How do you know if two planes are dependent?

If two planes have the same slope and intersect at a point, they are dependent. In the case of a cylinder, the two planes would be the top and bottom surfaces of the cylinder, which would have the same slope and intersect at the center of the cylinder's base.

3. Can the volume of a cylinder bounded by two dependent planes be negative?

No, the volume of a cylinder bounded by two dependent planes cannot be negative. Volume is a measure of space and cannot have a negative value.

4. How does changing the distance between the dependent planes affect the volume of the cylinder?

Changing the distance between the dependent planes will directly affect the volume of the cylinder. As the distance between the planes increases, the volume of the cylinder will also increase. Similarly, as the distance decreases, the volume will also decrease.

5. Can the volume of a cylinder bounded by two dependent planes be infinite?

No, the volume of a cylinder bounded by two dependent planes cannot be infinite. Since the two planes are dependent, they must intersect at a point, meaning the cylinder cannot have an infinite height and therefore cannot have an infinite volume.