Volume of cylinder bounded by two dependent planes, ideas?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
dude899
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


[/B]
Calculate the volume bounded by the plane/cylinder x^2+y^2=1 and the planes x+z=1 and y-z=-1.

Homework Equations

/ The attempt at a solution[/B]

It is pretty basic triple integral in cylindrical coordinates. For some reason, I can't get the right answer. I'm using bounds: 1-x ≤ z ≤ y + 1, -3π/4 ≤ θ ≤ π/4, 0 ≤ r ≤ 1.

The shape is a cylindrical wedge of sorts but it is so twisted I'm not sure this is correct. Any ideas?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
dude899 said:

Homework Statement


[/B]
Calculate the volume bounded by the plane/cylinder x^2+y^2=1 and the planes x+z=1 and y-z=-1.

Homework Equations

/ The attempt at a solution[/B]

It is pretty basic triple integral in cylindrical coordinates. For some reason, I can't get the right answer. I'm using bounds: 1-x ≤ z ≤ y + 1, -3π/4 ≤ θ ≤ π/4, 0 ≤ r ≤ 1.

The shape is a cylindrical wedge of sorts but it is so twisted I'm not sure this is correct. Any ideas?

This is a tricky problem. The problem is that the two planes cross each other inside the cylinder. If you set the z values equal you get ##y = -x##. If you look at the projection in the ##xy## plane that line divides the circle into two regions, $$-\frac \pi 4 \le \theta \le \frac {3\pi} 4 \text{ and }\frac {3\pi} 4 \le \theta \le \frac{7\pi} 4$$I think you will find that in the first region ##z=1+y## is the upper surface and in the second region ##z=1-x## is the upper surface. Work out the integrals for those two cases and see if that helps.

Edit, added: Here's a picture. It isn't oriented in the usual direction in order to get a nice view of it. But you can see the shape of it:
picture.jpg
 
Last edited:
Ok, so I get that the volume would then be Vtot = V1 + V2 = (2 * √(2)) / 3 + (2 * √(2)) / 3 = (4 * √(2)) / 3

Is this correct, does someone get different answers?
 
dude899 said:
Ok, so I get that the volume would then be Vtot = V1 + V2 = (2 * √(2)) / 3 + (2 * √(2)) / 3 = (4 * √(2)) / 3

Is this correct, does someone get different answers?

Not quite what I got. Let's see your integrals.
[Edit] Woops! Cancel that. I agree with your answers.