1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volume of cylinder bounded by two dependent planes, ideas?

1. Sep 17, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Calculate the volume bounded by the plane/cylinder x^2+y^2=1 and the planes x+z=1 and y-z=-1.

2. Relevant equations / The attempt at a solution

It is pretty basic triple integral in cylindrical coordinates. For some reason, I can't get the right answer. I'm using bounds: 1-x ≤ z ≤ y + 1, -3π/4 ≤ θ ≤ π/4, 0 ≤ r ≤ 1.

The shape is a cylindrical wedge of sorts but it is so twisted I'm not sure this is correct. Any ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2016 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This is a tricky problem. The problem is that the two planes cross each other inside the cylinder. If you set the z values equal you get ##y = -x##. If you look at the projection in the ##xy## plane that line divides the circle into two regions, $$-\frac \pi 4 \le \theta \le \frac {3\pi} 4 \text{ and }\frac {3\pi} 4 \le \theta \le \frac{7\pi} 4$$I think you will find that in the first region ##z=1+y## is the upper surface and in the second region ##z=1-x## is the upper surface. Work out the integrals for those two cases and see if that helps.

Edit, added: Here's a picture. It isn't oriented in the usual direction in order to get a nice view of it. But you can see the shape of it:
    picture.jpg

Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
  4. Sep 18, 2016 #3
    Ok, so I get that the volume would then be Vtot = V1 + V2 = (2 * √(2)) / 3 + (2 * √(2)) / 3 = (4 * √(2)) / 3

Is this correct, does someone get different answers?

5. Sep 18, 2016 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Not quite what I got. Let's see your integrals.
    [Edit] Woops! Cancel that. I agree with your answers.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted