Max Volume of Cylinder Inscribed in Cone: 10r^3π

  • Thread starter Thread starter Weave
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Optimization
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 9K views
Weave
Messages
143
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A right circular cylinder in inscribed in a cone with height 10 and base radius 3. Find the largest possible voluem of such a cylinder.

Homework Equations


[tex]V=\pi*r^2*h[/tex]



The Attempt at a Solution


Ok, so I used similar triangles of the cone and cylinder to obtain h=(10/3)r
I substituted that in for h and I'm not sure where to go from there.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Volume or surface area? What level of calculus is this? Were you trying to give the volume of a cone or of the cylinder? I would solve the problem with calculus of variations by minimizing the integral of the surface area, but that is something that requires differential equations.
 
Calc 1, we are trying to maximize the volume of a cyclinder inside a cone with the given information.
 
Weave said:

Homework Statement


A right circular cylinder in inscribed in a cone with height 10 and base radius 3. Find the largest possible voluem of such a cylinder.

Homework Equations


[tex]V=\pi*r^2*h[/tex]



The Attempt at a Solution


Ok, so I used similar triangles of the cone and cylinder to obtain h=(10/3)r
I substituted that in for h and I'm not sure where to go from there.
Look more closely at your similar triangles. You have a large triangle (the entire cone) and a small triangle (the area inside the cone above the cylinder). If the cylinder has height h and radius r, then similar triangles gives (10-h)/r= 10/3 or 10-h= (10/3)r so h= 10- (10/3)r= 10(1- r/3). Putting that into [itex]V= \pi r^2 h[/itex] gives [itex]V= 10\pi (r^2- r^3/3)[/itex]. Differentiate that with respect to r and set the derivative equal to 0.
 
Last edited by a moderator: