What potential reference for a cylinder inside a cylinder

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the potential for a long metal cylinder with a radius a that is supported on an insulating stand, with a long, hollow metal tube with a radius b. The positive and negative charges per unit length on the inner and outer cylinders are equal, respectively. The net potential is the sum of the potentials due to the individual conductors, and the reference is set at V=0 at r=b. The question is about what to use as a reference in the integral for change in voltage, and it is clarified that the reference is set at r=b.
Eric Peraza
The question is
A long metal cylinder with radius a is supported on an insulating stand on the axis of a long, hollow, metal tube with radius b. The positive charge per unit length on the inner cylinder is λ, and there is an equal negative charge per unit length on the outer cylinder.

Calculate the potential V(r) for r<a. (Hint: The net potential is the sum of the potentials due to the individual conductors.) Take V=0 at r=b.

i know how to do the problem, the only question i have is what do i use for the reference in the integral for change in voltage? i know how to do spheres and all and calculating e-fields is easy, but how do i know when to use infinity as a reference and when to use something else as a reference? and what would that something else be?

Homework Equations

Even though it's inside the first cylinder do i set the reference at infinity?

Physics news on Phys.org
Eric Peraza said:
The question is
A long metal cylinder with radius a is supported on an insulating stand on the axis of a long, hollow, metal tube with radius b. The positive charge per unit length on the inner cylinder is λ, and there is an equal negative charge per unit length on the outer cylinder.

Calculate the potential V(r) for r<a. (Hint: The net potential is the sum of the potentials due to the individual conductors.) Take V=0 at r=b.

i know how to do the problem, the only question i have is what do i use for the reference in the integral for change in voltage? i know how to do spheres and all and calculating e-fields is easy, but how do i know when to use infinity as a reference and when to use something else as a reference? and what would that something else be?

Homework Equations

Even though it's inside the first cylinder do i set the reference at infinity?

They tell you where to set the reference. They say "V=0 at r=b". Setting the reference at infinity is not very useful here since an infinite cylinder (which is what they mean when they say "long") has infinite potential at infinity.

ohhhh i feel stupid i did not see that part...thank you for the explanation though and pointing that out to me!

What is a cylinder inside a cylinder?

A cylinder inside a cylinder refers to the concept of one cylinder being placed inside another cylinder, with both sharing the same axis and having different radii. This creates a hollow space between the two cylinders.

What is the purpose of a cylinder inside a cylinder?

The purpose of a cylinder inside a cylinder varies depending on the specific application. In general, it can be used for structural support, insulation, or as a container for storing liquids or gases.

What are the potential references for a cylinder inside a cylinder?

The potential references for a cylinder inside a cylinder include mathematical equations, physical properties such as volume and surface area, and real-world applications such as pipes or containers.

How do you calculate the volume of a cylinder inside a cylinder?

The volume of a cylinder inside a cylinder can be calculated by subtracting the volume of the smaller cylinder from the volume of the larger cylinder. The formula is V = π(R1² - R2²)h, where R1 is the radius of the larger cylinder, R2 is the radius of the smaller cylinder, and h is the height of the cylinder.

What are some examples of a cylinder inside a cylinder in real life?

Examples of a cylinder inside a cylinder in real life include water bottles, pipes, and some types of containers. It can also be seen in structural design, such as a column within a column for added support.