1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rational Polynomials over a Field

1. Apr 29, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose there are two polynomials over a field, f and g, and that gcd(f,g)=1. Consider the rational functions a(x)/f(x) and b(x)/g(x), where deg(a)<deg(f) and deg(b)<deg(g). Show that if a(x)/f(x)=b(x)/g(x) is only true if a(x)=b(x)=0.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've not really gotten any solid ideas here, but these are the few things that have gone through my mind.

If they are equal then ag=bf, so deg(a)+deg(g)=deg(b)+deg(f). We also have deg(ag)=deg(a)+deg(g)<deg(f)+deg(g) and also deg(bf)=deg(b)+deg(f)<deg(g)+deg(f), so there are no problems there.

Since f and g are relatively prime, I can write 1=fu+gw for some polynomials u and w. Thus f=(1-gw)/u, and the equality becomes agu=b(1-gw)=b-bgw.

Am I on the right track? Any hints? Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Okay, here's something else I've come up with in the past few minutes. Since ag=bf, we have a=bf/g. Thus g divides bf and since, gcd(f,g)=1 so g divides b. But the degree of g is greater than that of b, so b is necessarily the zero polynomial, and a follows similarly.

Is this okay?
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your last few minutes have been very productive. You convinced me.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?