Rational power of the imaginary unit

In summary: In that case, there are an infinite number of solutions and we can’t do anything to determine which one is the principal one.
coreanphysicsstudent
Homework Statement
solve i^2/3 using complex number.
Relevant Equations
below is my solution.

i^2/3=e^(2/3(lni)), ※(lni = i(pi/2+-2npi))
=e^2/3(i(pi/2+-2npi))=e^i(pi/3+-4/3npi)

※e^i(+-4/3npi)=+-1 (is tha correct?) .....(*)

e^ipi/3 = (1/2 + root3/2i)..........(**)

(**)(*) =e^i(pi/3+-4/3npi)= i^2/3 (using property of exponents)

So, my answer is +-(1/2+root3/2i)
but the real answer is −1, (1±i√3)/2

What's wrong with my solution?

please help me through.

Physics news on Phys.org
coreanphysicsstudent said:
e^i(+-4/3npi)=+-1 (is tha correct?) ...(*)
No.

Hello @coreanphysicsstudent , :welcome: !

First: you want to learn some ##\LaTeX## to typeset math stuff; it's worth the investment.
$$i^{2/3}$$ or $$i^{2/3}$$looks so much better than i^2/3 !
$$ $$
Or else learn to use the editing buttons to at least get i2/3

Re your answer: ##^e\log## domain (principal value) is restricted to ##\arg \log \in (-\pi,\pi]##

Furthermore: you have two answers (##\pm## the book answer) and you can check if both yield ##i## when raised to the 3/2th power !

Finally, it is good to use a simpler method for exponentiating complex numbers:

$${\bf z} = {\bf a}^x \Leftrightarrow \quad |{\bf z}| = |{\bf a}|^x \quad \& \quad \arg {\bf z} = x \arg {\bf a}$$

I think the quickest way here is to notice that ##i = e^{i(\frac{\pi}{2} + 2n\pi)}##

Likes Replusz
etotheipi said:
I think the quickest way here is to notice that ##i = e^{i(\frac{\pi}{2} + 2n\pi)}##
Easier: ##i = e^{i\,\pi/2} ##. Therefore the modulus of ##i^{2/3}## is 1 and the argument ##\pi/3##

We also don't say 1 = 1 * 1n

BvU said:
Easier: ##i = e^{i\,\pi/2} ##. Therefore the modulus of ##i^{2/3}## is 1 and the argument ##\pi/3##

Right, but if you use the more general form then you also get other solutions like ##e^{\frac{5\pi}{3}i}##.

That is not ##i^{2/3}##

BvU said:
That is not ##i^{2/3}##

Wolfram alpha seems to give three roots, which correspond to different values of ##n##.

1589281633551.png

BvU said:

As @etotheipi notes, ##i = e^{i\,\pi/2+2ni\pi}=e^{\frac {i\pi}2(4n+1)} ##, so ##i^{\frac 23}=e^{\frac {i\pi}3(4n+1)}##

BvU said:
Hello @coreanphysicsstudent , :welcome: !

First: you want to learn some ##\LaTeX## to typeset math stuff; it's worth the investment.
$$i^{2/3}$$ or $$i^{2/3}$$looks so much better than i^2/3 !
$$ $$
Or else learn to use the editing buttons to at least get i2/3

Re your answer: ##^e\log## domain (principal value) is restricted to ##\arg \log \in (-\pi,\pi]##

Furthermore: you have two answers (##\pm## the book answer) and you can check if both yield ##i## when raised to the 3/2th power !

Finally, it is good to use a simpler method for exponentiating complex numbers:

$${\bf z} = {\bf a}^x \Leftrightarrow \quad |{\bf z}| = |{\bf a}|^x \quad \& \quad \arg {\bf z} = x \arg {\bf a}$$

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well Thank you for your advice. I wil learn LaTex sooner or later.
But I really don't understand your answer, it's quite difficult that using arg. I don't have any ideas of arg method.here's my method below, can you please adjust my method?

and how can i find correct answer that book refer.

Attachments

• method.jpg
    method.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 160
haruspex said:
No.

Can you inform why (*) is wrong, and the correct method.

etotheipi said:
Wolfram alpha seems to give three roots, which correspond to different values of ##n##.

View attachment 262640

You mean here ?

1589285993083.png

To which I can subscribe. But:

And this site seriously claims ##i^{2/3} = -1 ## ? and also that ##e^z = e^{-z} ## ?

Down at the bottom it gives you one with all the roots on it:

1589286944334.png

We can take ##{(e^{\frac{5\pi i}{3}})}^{\frac{3}{2}} = e^{\frac{5\pi i}{2}} = i##. I don't think it is claiming ##e^z = e^{-z}##, it is just that ##e^{-\frac{i \pi}{3}} \equiv e^{\frac{ 5 i \pi}{3}}##, which is another solution.

It's slightly odd behaviour, but I wonder if that is down to the weirdness of rational exponents like in this case... I could well have this all wrong, if I am missing a key rule or something!

Perhaps I am the one with o:) egg on my face, stubbornly holding on to demanding a unique value in the complex world.

Here (at 4/5 into the page) is a counter-example (##i^i##) :
Another common pitfall is finding "the solution" to an exponential and assuming that it is the unique solution.

I'm inciined to ask @LCKurtz !PS And that would mean OP has 2/3 of the answers and his book answer only 1/3 !

It's definitely weird behaviour, and slightly confuzzling!

Likes BvU
@coreanphysicsstudent
You changed which expression is labelled (*) and which is labelled (**).

This is correct: ##\displaystyle e^{i \pi/3}=\frac{1}{2}+\frac{\sqrt{3~}}{2}i## .

This is incorrect in general: ##\displaystyle e^{\pm i~ 4n\pi/3}=\pm 1## . Moreover, it doesn't follow from what precedes it in your work.

What you have preceding it is (you do not need the ± ) is: ##\displaystyle e^{i (\pi/3+4n\pi/3)} ##.

But ## \dfrac{\pi}{3}+\dfrac{4n\pi} 3 \ne \dfrac{4n\pi} 3##.

Rather ## \dfrac{\pi}{3}+\dfrac{4n\pi} 3 = \dfrac{(4n+1)\pi} 3 ## .

Try some values for ##n##.

BvU said:
that would mean OP has 2/3 of the answers and his book answer only 1/3 !
No, the book answer presents all three:
"but the real answer is −1, (1±i√3)/2."

It comes down to the exact wording of the question. It is quoted as saying "solve i^2/3" but that doesn’t quite make sense. If it actually says "find the solutions of" then we are clearly not only concerned with the principal solution. If it says "find" then I would consider it ambiguous.

o:)

etotheipi said:
Maybe a quicker way:

##i^{2/3} = \left(i^2\right)^{1/3}=\left(-1\right)^{1/3}##.

Of course, treat this as complex.

Likes Delta2
In the main branch:
## i^{2/3}=e^{(2/3)Logi}=e^{(2/3)(i(\pi/2+2n \pi))}##. Exponentiation is single-valued within a branch.

Last edited:
Or looking at ##i^{2/3}## as the solutions to ##z^3=i^2=-1## or the 3 roots of ( negative) unity.

Likes etotheipi

1. What is the rational power of the imaginary unit?

The rational power of the imaginary unit is a mathematical concept that involves raising the imaginary unit, represented by the letter i, to a rational exponent. The imaginary unit, i, is defined as the square root of -1 and is often used in complex numbers.

2. How do you calculate the rational power of the imaginary unit?

To calculate the rational power of the imaginary unit, you can use the formula (i^a)^b = i^(a*b), where a and b are rational numbers. This means that you can multiply the exponents of i to get the final result. For example, to find the value of (i^2)^3, you would multiply the exponents to get i^6, which simplifies to -1.

3. What is the significance of the rational power of the imaginary unit?

The rational power of the imaginary unit is significant in mathematics and physics because it allows us to solve complex problems involving imaginary numbers. It is also used in many real-world applications, such as in electrical engineering and signal processing.

4. Can the rational power of the imaginary unit be a real number?

No, the rational power of the imaginary unit will always result in a complex number, even if the exponent is a rational number. This is because the imaginary unit, i, is defined as the square root of -1, which is not a real number.

5. How is the rational power of the imaginary unit related to the complex plane?

The complex plane is a graphical representation of complex numbers, with the real numbers plotted on the horizontal axis and the imaginary numbers plotted on the vertical axis. The rational power of the imaginary unit is related to the complex plane because it allows us to visualize and understand the behavior of complex numbers on this plane, making it a useful tool in solving complex problems.