Write |exp(2z+i)| in terms of x and y

• Thread starter ver_mathstats
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Terms
In summary: It would have spared me a lot of confusion. In summary, the imaginary number disappears when you exponentiate a real number by a power of two. The real number you are exponentiating has a property of being an exponential function. The imaginary number disappears because the imaginary part of the real number is multiplied by the real part of the imaginary number and the imaginary part of the imaginary number disappears.
ver_mathstats
Homework Statement
Write |exp(2z+i)| in terms of x and y
Relevant Equations
|exp(2z+i)|
|exp(2z+i)| = e2x, where did the imaginary part go?

|exp(2z+i)| = exp(2(x+iy)+i) = exp(2x+2iy+i) = exp(2x+i(2y+1)), I understand this but I'm confused how the solution is e2x.

Could someone help explain it to me, thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
A property of exponents: ##e^{(2x+i(2y+1))} = e^{2x}e^{i(2y+1)}##.
The factor ##e^{2x}## is the regular real exponential function that you should be familiar with. Can you work it from there? If not, you should review the definition and properties of the complex exponential function.

Likes WWGD and berkeman
FactChecker said:
A property of exponents: ##e^{(2x+i(2y+1))} = e^{2x}e^{i(2y+1)}##.
The factor ##e^{2x}## is the regular real exponential function that you should be familiar with. Can you work it from there? If not, you should review the definition and properties of the complex exponential function.
Yes I already know that, I was just asking why the imaginary number disappeared from the question. And I know Euler's formula of e^iy=cosy+isiny. But now I realized my mistake, I forgot | ... |.

Likes FactChecker
ver_mathstats said:
I forgot | ... |.
Oh! That makes a lot of difference. :-)

Please mention explicitly that ##z=x+iy##. Makes it incredibly confusing to read, otherwise. Either way, ##|\exp (i\alpha)| = 1## for any ##\alpha\in\mathbb R##. So
[tex]
|\exp (2z+i)| = |\exp (2x + i(2y+1))| = |\exp (2x)\exp (i(2y+1))| = \exp (2x).
[/tex]
Use properties of the modulus, where applicable.

Make sure you understand that complex numbers can be plotted as Cartesian coordinates (x, y) or as polar coordinates (r, theta). The second form emphasizes that the complex number has some modulus - a distance, like r, which increases "exponentially" when it is exponentiated - and a phase - some angle, that rotates around and around when exponentiated. The phase plots to a unit circle = cos theta + i sin theta, so it always has a modulus of 1, no matter how you rotate it.

There is also the issue that lays out the difference between the Complex Exponential and the Real one:
##exp^{x +iy}=Cosy+iSiny =Cos(y+ 2k\pi)+i Sin( y+2k\pi) ; k \in \mathbb Z ## . Periodicity also explains the problem ( lack of injectivity) preventing a global logz inverse so that ## e^{logz} \neq log e^z ## globally; issue of branches, etc. Edit2: Further down the road, you will see how, amazingly, the underlying Analytical properties are affected by the Topological properies.

Edit: I wish someone had given me this "Full Tour" before I got started.

Last edited:

1. What is the formula for writing |exp(2z+i)| in terms of x and y?

The formula for writing |exp(2z+i)| in terms of x and y is |exp(2x+2yi)|.

2. How do you simplify |exp(2z+i)| in terms of x and y?

To simplify |exp(2z+i)| in terms of x and y, you can use the properties of exponents and the rules of complex numbers to rewrite the expression as |e^(2x)e^(2yi)|. Then, using Euler's formula, e^(2yi) can be expressed as cos(2y) + i*sin(2y). The final simplified form is |e^(2x)|*|cos(2y) + i*sin(2y)|.

3. Can |exp(2z+i)| be written in a different form?

Yes, |exp(2z+i)| can be written in polar form as |e^(2x)|*|cos(2y) + i*sin(2y)| = |e^(2x)|*|e^(i*2y)| = |e^(2x + i*2y)|.

4. What is the significance of writing |exp(2z+i)| in terms of x and y?

Writing |exp(2z+i)| in terms of x and y allows us to separate the real and imaginary parts of the expression. This can be useful in solving complex equations and understanding the behavior of exponential functions.

5. How can |exp(2z+i)| be graphed in terms of x and y?

To graph |exp(2z+i)| in terms of x and y, you can plot the real and imaginary parts separately. The real part, e^(2x), will be a horizontal line at y=1, while the imaginary part, e^(2yi), will be a circle with radius e^(2x) centered at the origin. The graph of |exp(2z+i)| will be the combination of these two graphs.