Ray diagrams for mirror ray tracing

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of o being negative or positive when using the mirror equation for concave mirrors. Hyperphysics states that o is usually negative, while Hecht argues that it should be positive for real objects to the left of the mirror. The speaker agrees with Hecht and believes that Hyperphysics is incorrect.
RickyWong
Just a check here...

I'm doing some ray diagram practice for optics and I've hit a road block. Hyperphysics is stating that for a concave mirror o is usually negative due to it measured against the direction of light propagation when applied to the mirror equation (below).

[tex]\frac{1}{o}[/tex]+[tex]\frac{1}{i}[/tex]=[tex]\frac{1}{f}[/tex]

But Hecht, says that if it is a real object to the left of the mirror, it should be positive (which incidentally gives me the correct answer to a question I'm attempting)

Is Hyperphysics wrong? or have I misinterpreted it?

here's the link:
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/geoopt/mirray.html#c4

Physics news on Phys.org
I agree with you: Hyperphysics is wrong.

vela said:
I agree with you: Hyperphysics is wrong.

Thank you.

What is a ray diagram for mirror ray tracing?

A ray diagram for mirror ray tracing is a visual representation of how light rays behave when they hit a mirror. It shows the path of the light rays as they reflect off the mirror, allowing us to determine the location and size of the image formed by the mirror.

How do you draw a ray diagram for mirror ray tracing?

To draw a ray diagram for mirror ray tracing, you will need to follow a few simple steps. First, draw a straight line representing the mirror. Then, draw a point on the line to represent the object. Next, draw two rays from the top and bottom of the object, going towards the mirror. These rays will reflect off the mirror at the same angle as they hit it. Finally, extend the reflected rays behind the mirror, and where they intersect is the location of the image formed by the mirror.

What is the difference between a concave and convex mirror in ray diagrams?

A concave mirror is curved inward and a convex mirror is curved outward. In ray diagrams, this means that the reflected rays will either converge or diverge after reflecting off the mirror. A concave mirror will produce an upright, magnified image when the object is placed at a distance less than its focal length, while a convex mirror will always produce a virtual, diminished image.

What is the use of ray diagrams for mirror ray tracing?

Ray diagrams for mirror ray tracing are used to determine the location, size, and orientation of images formed by mirrors. They also help in understanding the properties of different types of mirrors and how they affect the behavior of light rays. This information is important in fields such as optics, physics, and engineering.

Can ray diagrams for mirror ray tracing be used for curved mirrors?

Yes, ray diagrams for mirror ray tracing can be used for curved mirrors, such as parabolic or spherical mirrors. The process is the same as for flat mirrors, but the shape of the mirror will affect the angle at which the rays reflect off the surface. This will result in a different location and size of the image formed by the curved mirror.