Sound reflection & controversy in ray diagram of concave mirror

In summary, the conversation discusses the laws of reflection of sound and the formation of images in concave mirrors. It is stated that sound is heard at its maximum when the angle of incidence is equal to the angle of reflection. The conversation also mentions a possible mistake in drawing a ray diagram for a concave mirror, which can lead to the image forming ahead of the object rather than at the center of curvature. The conversation concludes with a discussion about using a small part of a sphere to approximate the focal point in a parabolic mirror.
Laven
I've two questions here:-
1) Sound reflects it is said using laws of reflection of light.So,it means we hear max. sound when angle of incidence is equal to angle of reflection,right?& if not equal then what do we hear or not?
I guess we hear lesser than max.sound when the angles are not equal.

2) Well,I've drawn ray diagram for concave mirror keeping object exactly at center of curvature according to book the image should form at the same point i.e center of curvature.But it won't, I've tried many times & quite seriously but doesn't forms image at the center of curvature.The image forms ahead of the object but closer but not exactly at the point.
What's this am i wrong somewhere.Do help me.

You are appreciated for your reply.
Thanks in advance.

Science news on Phys.org
Sorry for the long delay.

I suspect you traced parallel rays for a hemispherical mirror rather than for a parabolic mirror.
A parabolic mirror brings rays that are parallel to the axis to a single focal point.

If you stand with your head at the centre of a spherical mirror you can hear your own voice, louder, but slightly delayed. You can approximate the middle of a parabolic reflector by using a small part of a sphere near the axis, the focal point is then a half radius from the vertex.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curved_mirror#Mirror_shape
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curved_mirror#Concave_mirrors

Question 1: What is sound reflection?

Sound reflection is the phenomenon of sound waves bouncing off of a surface and returning in the opposite direction. This is similar to light reflection, where light waves bounce off of a surface and return to the source.

Question 2: How does sound reflection occur in a concave mirror?

In a concave mirror, sound waves reflect off of the curved surface and converge at a focal point. This is due to the shape of the mirror, which causes the sound waves to bounce off at different angles and come together at a single point.

Question 3: What is the controversy surrounding the ray diagram of a concave mirror?

The controversy surrounding the ray diagram of a concave mirror is due to the fact that it is often oversimplified and does not accurately represent the behavior of sound waves. The ray diagram only shows a single sound wave reflecting off of the mirror, when in reality, multiple waves are bouncing off at different angles.

Question 4: How does the ray diagram of a concave mirror differ from the actual behavior of sound waves?

The ray diagram of a concave mirror only shows a single sound wave reflecting off of the mirror and converging at a focal point. In reality, sound waves are constantly bouncing off of the mirror at different angles, creating a complex pattern of reflections and diffractions.

Question 5: How can the ray diagram of a concave mirror be improved to better represent the behavior of sound waves?

To better represent the behavior of sound waves, the ray diagram of a concave mirror should include multiple sound waves reflecting off of the mirror at different angles. This would create a more accurate depiction of the complex pattern of reflections and diffractions that occur in reality.