Optics question regarding rays.

In summary, the question poses the problem of determining the thickness L of an anti-reflection film on a cellphone, at which two reflected rays interfere destructively. The problem involves using Snell's Law and understanding concepts of terminal refraction. The solution requires taking into account the path difference, phase shift and medium of the light.
Ishida52134

Homework Statement

Given a cellphone layered with an anti reflection film with width L. A ray denoted with lambda hits the screen and some of the ray passes through while some of it reflects off from both inside the film and where the ray hits the film. The index of reflection from top to bottom is denoted by n1, n2, and n3 and n1 < n2 < n3. At what thickness L would the two rays interfere.
If you are confused here is a picture of what I'm talking about. Just the diagram, the labels are different. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f7/Optical-coating-1.png
It's the bottom picture, just flip it then rotate it -90 degrees.

Homework Equations

Snell's Law n1sinx = n2siny

The Attempt at a Solution

I just tried applying Snell's Law and using concepts of terminal refraction. I'm just confused with the whole question in general...
thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ishida52134 said:

Homework Statement

Given a cellphone layered with an anti reflection film with width L. A ray denoted with lambda hits the screen and some of the ray passes through while some of it reflects off from both inside the film and where the ray hits the film. The index of reflection from top to bottom is denoted by n1, n2, and n3 and n1 < n2 < n3. At what thickness L would the two rays interfere.
If you are confused here is a picture of what I'm talking about. Just the diagram, the labels are different. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f7/Optical-coating-1.png
It's the bottom picture, just flip it then rotate it -90 degrees.

Homework Equations

Snell's Law n1sinx = n2siny

The Attempt at a Solution

I just tried applying Snell's Law and using concepts of terminal refraction. I'm just confused with the whole question in general...
thanks.

I assume you mean the two rays interfere destructively [the reflection is reduced]

For destructive interference, the two reflected rays [surface and bottom interface] need to be out of phase when they eventually get to you.
That usually means a path difference in terms of wavelengths.
You also need to account for whether the light will undergo a phase shift as it reflects - depends on the refractive index each side of the interface.
You also need to consider the medium in which the extra path difference is to occur, as you want to use the wavelength in that medium.

1. What is the difference between reflection and refraction?

Reflection is the bouncing back of light rays when they hit a surface, while refraction is the bending of light rays as they pass through a medium with a different density.

2. How does the angle of incidence affect the angle of reflection?

The angle of incidence, which is the angle at which a light ray hits a surface, is equal to the angle of reflection, which is the angle at which the light ray bounces off the surface. This relationship is known as the law of reflection.

3. What is the critical angle and why is it important?

The critical angle is the angle of incidence at which a light ray passing through a medium will be refracted at an angle of 90 degrees. This is important because it determines whether a light ray will be reflected or refracted when passing through a medium.

4. How do lenses work?

Lenses are curved pieces of glass or plastic that refract light in a controlled way. Convex lenses converge light rays, while concave lenses diverge them. This allows lenses to focus or spread out light, creating images and correcting vision.

5. What is the difference between a real image and a virtual image?

A real image is formed when light rays actually converge at a point, creating a tangible image that can be projected onto a surface. In contrast, a virtual image is formed when light rays appear to converge at a point, but do not actually do so, making the image only visible through a lens or mirror.