Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relativity Raychaudhuri - General Relativity, Astrophysics, & Cosmology

1. Jan 6, 2019 #1
    Hello.

The book "General Relativity, Astrophysics, and Cosmology", by Raychaudhuri, et al., looks like a good compact exposition of GR, astrophysics and cosmology, which is exactly the kind of book I'm looking for. What do you think of this book?

Thank you in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 16, 2019 at 3:44 PM #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

There's some comments on the book on Amazon. The negative one says you need to know tensor analysis to understand it but if you know it then perhaps this isn't book for you.

https://www.amazon.com/General-Rela...r&reviewerType=all_reviews#reviews-filter-bar

The other thing I noticed is its somewhat dated circa 1992 and a lot of things have changed in those fields so you might want to study from a more recent book.

However, one of the positive reviewers noted:
    so its really up to you, if you have a copy then go and enjoy reading it.

4. Jan 16, 2019 at 4:12 PM #3
    Thanks. I read the reviews but I was looking for additional information here. I've ordered the book recently because I found a decent price. When the times comes I will read it and work with the "Problem Book in Relativity and Gravitation". These two combined should make for a solid education in GR and its applications to astrophysics and cosmology.

5. Jan 16, 2019 at 7:23 PM #4

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Sounds like a good plan. Good luck. Jedi

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?