Raymond George Vickson Sept 19 1942- May 13 2019

• Thread starter Ray Vickson
  • Start date
In summary, Ray Vickson was a knowledgeable and helpful member of Physics Forums. He will be greatly missed.
Ray Vickson
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Dearly Missed
I am sorry to report the death of Ray Vickson who was a member of this forum. He enjoyed assisting members with their problems during his retirement.
Lynne Vickson

• Sad
Likes roam, Islam Hashem, emonhossain and 48 others
Physics news on Phys.org
Lynne, please accept my/our deepest condolences. This is very sad news. Ray was an outstanding member and person here at Physics Forums. His efforts mentoring students for over 8 years has no doubt lifted their lives and furthered their progress in physics. What a man! He will be missed. Thank you so much for your strength in giving us this difficult news. Peace be with you and your family.

Last edited:
Likes Leyden, QuantumQuest, baldbrain and 26 others
My condolences. I remember Ray being patient and very knowledgeable. I learned plenty from him.
Sorry to hear it.

Likes Michael Neo, Steelwolf, sysprog and 6 others
Lynne, my condolences to you and your family

Likes Someguyoutthere, Michael Neo, Steelwolf and 5 others
Lynne, please accept my/our deepest condolences, and please extend our condolences to the rest of the family. Ray will be missed at PF.

Likes NascentOxygen, Michael Neo, Steelwolf and 6 others
Such a smart scientist. He will be missed!

Likes Michael Neo, Steelwolf, sysprog and 3 others
What terrible news. He was such a great asset to Physics Forums. We will deeply miss him. Condolences on your loss.

Likes Michael Neo, Steelwolf, sysprog and 4 others
Astronuc said:
Lynne, please accept my/our deepest condolences, and please extend our condolences to the rest of the family. Ray will be missed at PF.
Our condolences is correct. We will definitely miss him. This is one of those messages you find hard to believe.

Likes Steelwolf, sysprog, JD_PM and 3 others
I'm so sorry. My sincerest condolences to you and your family. :frown:

Likes ubergewehr273, Steelwolf, sysprog and 2 others
My condolences to you and your family also. :oldcry::oldcry::oldcry::oldcry::oldcry:

Likes Michael Neo, sysprog and davenn
Let me add my condolences Lynne. I had already missed seeing his posts but wasn't expecting that kind of news. He was a regular and seemed to know more than everything. I am truly sorry for your loss.
--Lynn Kurtz (ASU-retired)

Likes Michael Neo, Steelwolf, sysprog and 1 other person
I’m so sorry for your loss.

Likes davenn, Michael Neo, Steelwolf and 1 other person
Through the mists of time we walk,
Meeting new friends with whom we talk,
Until silently they vanish from our view
while we walk on and vanish too.

My condolences Lynne, we will miss viewing his posts and the cute little dog photo. Please know that we all enjoyed our discussions with him while at PF. Please take care and come back anytime if you need advice or help.

Jedi

• Sad
Likes QuantumQuest, davenn, YoungPhysicist and 5 others
I am sorry for your loss, Lynne. Ray was so knowledgeable and helpful. We will miss him dearly.

Likes davenn, Michael Neo, Steelwolf and 1 other person
Ray Vickson said:
I am sorry to report the death of Ray Vickson who was a member of this forum. He enjoyed assisting members with their problems during his retirement.
Lynne Vickson
What??i am in shock, i briefly interacted with him on the math homework help...this is a sad day.

Likes davenn, Steelwolf and sysprog
The bad thing about death is that your knowledge and insight isn't transferable... you cannot transfer your knowledge to a heir as inheritance. It goes with you.

• Sad
Likes Steelwolf and sysprog
chwala said:
The bad thing about death is that your knowledge and insight isn't transferable... you cannot transfer your knowledge to a heir as inheritance. It goes with you.
You can transfer knowledge in your lifetime. And he did! He helped others gaining knowledge and insight over years and with thousands of posts.

Likes QuantumQuest, davenn, YoungPhysicist and 10 others
I am sad to hear this. I enjoyed reading his thoughtful guidance.

mfb said:
You can transfer knowledge in your lifetime. And he did! He helped others gaining knowledge and insight over years and with thousands of posts.
What you are saying is absolutely true, my reference is death and life...when you die unlike material wealth you cannot say give your brain and way of thinking to your son for example...you die with it...yes when alive one can share knowledge, no dispute about that. May he rest in peace, we shall surely miss Ray Vickson.

My condolences... We will miss Ray very much.

Last edited:
Likes davenn, Steelwolf, fresh_42 and 1 other person
Terrible news. Ray was extremely patient and kind and he helped me many times here. He will be missed.

I planned to surprise him and the other mentors who've helped me with something nice when I become a successful physicist or engineer...I suppose I won't get the chance:cry:

If there is a heaven, no one deserves it more.

Likes kent davidge, davenn, Steelwolf and 2 others
I can only hope that one day I can guide as many people to knowledge as Ray did. He truly impacted the lives of many students around the world in a positive way. Thanks to the internet, his insights on tricky problems will help students for years to come as well!

Rest in peace Mr.Vickson.

Likes chwala, davenn, Steelwolf and 1 other person
I am very sad to hear this and my most sincere condolences go out to Lynne and all of Ray’s family and friends. As evidenced already by the posts in this thread, he had certainly found a place here where his knowledge and insights were highly appreciated.

Likes davenn, Steelwolf, sysprog and 1 other person
Lynne,
Thanks for informing us of Ray's death. Many of us share RGV's enjoyment of "assisting members with their problems" during and prior to our retirement. It has been a pleasure being a colleague of Ray's here on Physics Forums.
My condolences to you, and Ray's family and friends.

• Sad
That person cheerfully helped people right up until his last days. What a great and admirable way that was for him to spend some of his final hours. For my own tiny part, I offer my small thoughts and prayers, commending him highly to whatever or whomever may be the highest being I can imagine or experience.

Likes epenguin, Krushnaraj Pandya, SammyS and 1 other person
My deepest condolences. Ray was an amazing asset to PF and will be missed.

😞😞😞😞😞😞😞😫😫😭 my condolences

Likes Steelwolf
Sorry to hear the bad news. My condolences to you and your family.

Likes sysprog and Steelwolf
I’ll add my condolence too.:oldcry::oldcry: This is unbelievable news.

Though I’m not particularly familiar with him, every time he helped me with my problems, he always have very useful insights which helped me a lot. I am so sorry to hear that. I hope that I can gain, and pass on my knowledge to the next generation just like he did. R.I.P.

Likes jedishrfu, SammyS and sysprog
Every sincere scientist - past and present - contributes in their own way towards the building of "scientific reefs" if I may draw that comparison to the incredible diversity of life and function we see in coral reefs. RIP Ray and deepest condolences to family and friends.

Likes jedishrfu, SammyS and sysprog
Tu ne quaesieris - scire nefas! - quem mihi, quem tibi
finem di dederint, Leuconoe, nec Babylonios
temptaris numeros. Ut melius, quidquid erit, pati,
seu pluris hiemes seu tribuit Iuppiter ultimam,
quae nunc oppositis debilitat pumicibus mare
Tyrrheneum. Sapias, vina liques, et spatio brevi
spem longam reseces; dum loquimur, fugerit invida
aetas: Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't ask - it is forbidden to know! - what kind of me, what kind of you
end the gods give, Leuconoe, Babylonian fortune-tellers
don't try. It would be better if you got anything, bear,
will you have more winter, or will Jupiter give you the last one,
which now the rocks of the Tyrrhenian Sea are unyielding and
breach. Make your mind, filter the wine, short the time and
abroad hopes cut back; as long as we talk, run away from our envy
years: Take gain of this instant than the less believable tomorrow.

Last edited:
Likes roam
My deep condolences. He was a great member of PF, very very knowledgeable, has helped a whole lot of people here and I, personally, have learned a lot and gain insights into various problems. Rest In Peace Ray.

Likes SammyS and YoungPhysicist
I'm really sorry to hear this! My condolences to you and your family.