Raymond George Vickson Sept 19 1942- May 13 2019

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Dearly Missed
I am sorry to report the death of Ray Vickson who was a member of this forum. He enjoyed assisting members with their problems during his retirement.
Lynne Vickson

Lynne, please accept my/our deepest condolences. This is very sad news. Ray was an outstanding member and person here at Physics Forums. His efforts mentoring students for over 8 years has no doubt lifted their lives and furthered their progress in physics. What a man! He will be missed. Thank you so much for your strength in giving us this difficult news. Peace be with you and your family.

Last edited:

WWGD

Science Advisor
Gold Member
My condolences. I remember Ray being patient and very knowledgeable. I learnt plenty from him.
Sorry to hear it.

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Lynne, please accept my/our deepest condolences, and please extend our condolences to the rest of the family. Ray will be missed at PF.

fresh_42

Mentor
Insights Author
2018 Award
Lynne, please accept my/our deepest condolences, and please extend our condolences to the rest of the family. Ray will be missed at PF.
Our condolences is correct. We will definitely miss him. This is one of those messages you find hard to believe.

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Let me add my condolences Lynne. I had already missed seeing his posts but wasn't expecting that kind of news. He was a regular and seemed to know more than everything. I am truly sorry for your loss.
--Lynn Kurtz (ASU-retired)

Through the mists of time we walk,
Meeting new friends with whom we talk,
Until silently they vanish from our view
while we walk on and vanish too.

My condolences Lynne, we will miss viewing his posts and the cute little dog photo. Please know that we all enjoyed our discussions with him while at PF. Please take care and come back anytime if you need advice or help.

Jedi

vela

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
I am sorry for your loss, Lynne. Ray was so knowledgable and helpful. We will miss him dearly.

chwala

Gold Member
I am sorry to report the death of Ray Vickson who was a member of this forum. He enjoyed assisting members with their problems during his retirement.
Lynne Vickson
What???????i am in shock, i briefly interacted with him on the math homework help....this is a sad day.

chwala

Gold Member
The bad thing about death is that your knowledge and insight isn't transferable.... you cannot transfer your knowledge to a heir as inheritance. It goes with you.

The bad thing about death is that your knowledge and insight isn't transferable.... you cannot transfer your knowledge to a heir as inheritance. It goes with you.
You can transfer knowledge in your lifetime. And he did! He helped others gaining knowledge and insight over years and with thousands of posts.

chwala

Gold Member
You can transfer knowledge in your lifetime. And he did! He helped others gaining knowledge and insight over years and with thousands of posts.
What you are saying is absolutely true, my reference is death and life....when you die unlike material wealth you cannot say give your brain and way of thinking to your son for example....you die with it...yes when alive one can share knowledge, no dispute about that. May he rest in peace, we shall surely miss Ray Vickson.

opus

Gold Member
Terrible news. Ray was extremely patient and kind and he helped me many times here. He will be missed.

Krushnaraj Pandya

Gold Member
I planned to surprise him and the other mentors who've helped me with something nice when I become a successful physicist or engineer....I suppose I won't get the chance:cry:

If there is a heaven, no one deserves it more.

I can only hope that one day I can guide as many people to knowledge as Ray did. He truly impacted the lives of many students around the world in a positive way. Thanks to the internet, his insights on tricky problems will help students for years to come as well!

Rest in peace Mr.Vickson.

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2018 Award
I am very sad to hear this and my most sincere condolences go out to Lynne and all of Ray’s family and friends. As evidenced already by the posts in this thread, he had certainly found a place here where his knowledge and insights were highly appreciated.

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Lynne,
Thanks for informing us of Ray's death. Many of us share RGV's enjoyment of "assisting members with their problems" during and prior to our retirement. It has been a pleasure being a colleague of Ray's here on Physics Forums.
My condolences to you, and Ray's family and friends.