1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

RC circuit and discharging a capacitor

1. Apr 1, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

RC circuits and discharging a capacitor

ok, say I have the following:

R = 4700 ohm
    C = 39 micro farads
    they are arranged in series and the battery is replaced using a function generator, which we set to produce a square wave (on/off). With any frequencies set.

How can I graph the Vcap vs time?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I know the equation V(t) = Vo * e^(-t/RC) can be used.. however in this case what is Vo (initial voltage) here?

if this is so then what is the purpose of the square wave function generator? Doesn't it matter on how big the frequencies are set?

Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 1, 2009 #2
    Are the R and C in series or parallel? :smile:

4. Apr 1, 2009 #3
    oops forgot to mention that, it's in series

5. Apr 1, 2009 #4
    If you are familiar with Laplace transformation, this problem can simply be solved by making a laplace transformation of the circuit and calculating the necessary value.

6. Apr 1, 2009 #5
    no.. I am not familiar with Laplace transformation

7. Apr 2, 2009 #6
    anyone?

8. Apr 2, 2009 #7

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

When you swith on the function generator, a peak voltage will be across RC circuit. During horizontal protion of the square wave, capacity will start charging. During vertically down ward portion and next horizontal portion of the square wave the capacity will discahrge.

9. Apr 2, 2009 #8
    so I want to get this numerically... is there a way to compute it

10. Apr 2, 2009 #9

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

If you know the peak voltage and the period of the square wave, it is possible to find V(t).

11. Apr 2, 2009 #10
    well the period of the square wave I know, but how do I get the peak voltage?

I am just using a normal function generator.. so maybe the peak voltage is known...

12. Apr 2, 2009 #11

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

You can select the peak voltage of the function generator, say 20 V peak-to-peak and period 500 ms. (greater then time constant RC). Find the voltage at every 50 ms. Plot the graph V(t) vs time.

13. Apr 2, 2009 #12
    I don't want to do this experimentally.. I want to do this on paper actually... so if the peak voltage is 20V and period was 500 ms what is the Vo

14. Apr 2, 2009 #13

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

How can I graph the Vcap vs time?
    To draw graph use V(t) = 20*e^-t/RC formula.
    Put the values of t as 50ms. 100ms, ,,and so on. Substitute the values of RC. Find the values of V(t)

15. Apr 2, 2009 #14
    ok.. gotcha.. is there actually a setting in the function generator to set the peak voltage... or is that hard coded in every function generator

16. Apr 2, 2009 #15

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Yes. It is there. It can be varied, say from 0 to 30V.

17. Apr 2, 2009 #16
    What does the amplitude take account for?

18. Apr 2, 2009 #17

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Which amplitude? Amplitude of square wave it self is the Vo.

19. Apr 3, 2009 #18
    What would be a good frequency to set on the function generator if the amplitude was around 2-5V and the RC is as I specified in my first post... I need some range of the frequency

20. Apr 3, 2009 #19

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

In the given circuit the time constant RC = 0.183 S. So to draw the graph, if possible set the function generator to 2 Hz.

21. Apr 3, 2009 #20
    what is S there? 2 Hz.. isn't that really2 small? What should I set the time/div to be

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook