Discharge of a capacitor and current in an RC circuit

In summary: But I have a doubt: I remember having solved an exercise by calculating the drop in tension caused by a resistor... in order to find the maximum charge in a capacitor:Yes, it is necessary to calculate the current flowing when the switch is open. The current through the resistor causes a drop in voltage, so the potential between the resistor and the cap increases.
greg_rack
Gold Member
Homework Statement
When the switch is open, the capacitor is charged and there isn't any current flowing through the resistors.
In light of this, the potential between the resistors is ##16V##.
As soon as the switch gets closed, this potential varies immediately and the capacitor starts to discharge.
Determine the currents in ##R_{1}## and ##R_{2}##:
-as soon as the switch gets closed;
-when the capacitor is empty.

DIAGRAM ATTACHED BELOW##\downarrow##
Relevant Equations
##q=CV##
##q(t)=q_{0}e^{-\frac{t}{\tau}}##
##I=\frac{V}{R}##
IMG_1522.JPG
I'm having a few troubles understanding a few things about this circuit...
Firstly, what does "In light of this, the potential between the resistors is ##16V##" exactly mean? If current isn't flowing, how could there be a potential between resistors?
Secondly, how does current flow with the switch closed? There is still a generator attached to the circuit... how could a capacitor discharge if attached to a generator?

Physics news on Phys.org
greg_rack said:
"In light of this, the potential between the resistors is "
It's confusing wording, but they just mean that the voltage all along the top rail (including the resistors) is 16V. So all 3 nodes are at 16V (top left, top middle, top right).

greg_rack said:
Secondly, how does current flow with the switch closed?
When the switch is closed, it shorts the middle top node to ground, forming two separate circuits. The left circuit is the voltage source and resistor, with a steady current flowing I=V/R, and the right circuit is the capacitor in series with the right resistor, which discharges the capacitor with the time constant RC. Does that help?

Likes SammyS, greg_rack and etotheipi
You have my sympathy, it would be clearer if they wrote "the potential of the node between the two resistors is 16V".

@berkeman gave you a very brilliant answer! To derive the results he stated, you should apply Kirchhoff's voltage law to the left loop, then the right loop, individually.

Likes greg_rack and berkeman
berkeman said:
It's confusing wording, but they just mean that the voltage all along the top rail (including the resistors) is 16V. So all 3 nodes are at 16V (top left, top middle, top right).
But, if current isn't flowing(right?), can we speak of voltage?

berkeman said:
When the switch is closed, it shorts the middle top node to ground, forming two separate circuits. The left circuit is the voltage source and resistor, with a steady current flowing I=V/R, and the right circuit is the capacitor in series with the right resistor, which discharges the capacitor with the time constant RC. Does that help?
That does definitely help!
But now, how could I determine the current flowing through the second resistor as soon as the switch gets closed? If the right mesh is now separate from the first, in order to know this current I should know the voltage of the capacitor, given by ##V_{in}-I_{1}R_{1}-I_{2}R_{2}##, and then apply Kirchhoff... right?

etotheipi said:
You have my sympathy, it would be clearer if they wrote "the potential of the node between the two resistors is 16V".

@berkeman gave you a very brilliant answer! To derive the results he stated, you should apply Kirchhoff's voltage law to the left loop, then the right loop, individually.
But how could I apply Kirchhoff's law without knowing the operating voltage of the capacitor?

greg_rack said:
But, if current isn't flowing(right?), can we speak of voltage?
When you hold a 9V battery and look at the two terminals, there is no current flowing between them, but there certainly is 9V between them, right?

So when the voltage source in the circuit is first turned on with the switch open, a current will flow through the two resistors to gradually charge up the capacitor to 16V. Once the cap is fully charged, the whole top 3 nodes are all at 16V and current stops flowing.
greg_rack said:
If the right mesh is now separate from the first, in order to know this current I should know the voltage of the capacitor
The capacitor is initially charged to 16V and stays there until the switch is closed. What is the equation for V(t) for the capacitor as it is discharged by the right resistor R?

berkeman said:
When you hold a 9V battery and look at the two terminals, there is no current flowing between them, but there certainly is 9V between them, right?

So when the voltage source in the circuit is first turned on with the switch open, a current will flow through the two resistors to gradually charge up the capacitor to 16V. Once the cap is fully charged, the whole top 3 nodes are all at 16V and current stops flowing.
Ok, great! But why does the capacitor charge to 16V and not to ##V_{in}-I_{1}R_{1}-I_{2}R_{2}##? Resistors cause a drop in potential... so won't the cap get a lower voltage than 16V?

Think how an RC circuit behaves. You get an exponential rise or fall in the cap voltage (depending on if you are charging or discharging it)...

berkeman said:
Think how an RC circuit behaves. You get an exponential rise or fall in the cap voltage (depending on if you are charging or discharging it)...
Yup, you're right... and cap voltage increases until reaching the EMF of the battery!

Likes berkeman
greg_rack said:
Yup, you're right... and cap voltage increases until reaching the EMF of the battery!
But I have a doubt: I remember having solved an exercise by calculating the drop in tension caused by a resistor... in order to find the maximum charge in a capacitor:
IMG_2324.JPG
here, I calculated the current flowing(2A) when the capacitor reached its maximum charge, and then calculated the drop in tension caused by the first resistor(4V) for calculating the max q=C(12V-4V).
Why, here, the maximum charge isn't q=C*EMF? @berkeman

greg_rack said:
here, I calculated the current flowing(2A) when the capacitor reached its maximum charge, and then calculated the drop in tension caused by the first resistor(4V) for calculating the max q=C(12V-4V).
Why, here, the maximum charge isn't q=C*EMF? @berkeman
I'm not sure I understand your question or your confusion. That voltage divider in steady state puts 8V across the capacitor, so the charge is as you wrote q=C*8V.

berkeman said:
I'm not sure I understand your question or your confusion. That voltage divider in steady state puts 8V across the capacitor, so the charge is as you wrote q=C*8V.
Right, and assuming the voltage divider wasn't there, what would the maximum charge of the capacitor have been like?

You mean no resistor in parallel with the capacitor? Then the cap would charge all the way up to the power supply voltage (with an RC time constant exponential charging waveform) and stay there. So the q=CV calculation just uses the full power supply voltage.

Likes greg_rack
berkeman said:
You mean no resistor in parallel with the capacitor? Then the cap would charge all the way up to the power supply voltage (with an RC time constant exponential charging waveform) and stay there. So the q=CV calculation just uses the full power supply voltage.
Ok, I'm finally there!
Circuits are messing me upo_O
Thank you so much for your patience!

Likes berkeman

What is the equation for the discharge of a capacitor in an RC circuit?

The equation for the discharge of a capacitor in an RC circuit is V(t) = V0 * e^(-t/RC), where V(t) is the voltage across the capacitor at time t, V0 is the initial voltage, R is the resistance in the circuit, and C is the capacitance of the capacitor.

How does the current in an RC circuit change during the discharge of a capacitor?

The current in an RC circuit decreases exponentially during the discharge of a capacitor. This is because as the capacitor discharges, the voltage across it decreases, which in turn decreases the potential difference across the resistor and decreases the current flowing through it.

What is the time constant in an RC circuit?

The time constant, denoted by the symbol τ (tau), is the time it takes for the capacitor to discharge to 37% of its initial voltage. It is calculated by multiplying the resistance (R) and capacitance (C) in the circuit: τ = RC.

How does the resistance and capacitance affect the discharge of a capacitor in an RC circuit?

The resistance and capacitance in an RC circuit determine the rate at which the capacitor discharges. A higher resistance or capacitance will result in a longer time constant and a slower discharge, while a lower resistance or capacitance will result in a shorter time constant and a faster discharge.

What happens to the energy stored in a capacitor during the discharge process?

During the discharge process, the energy stored in the capacitor is converted into heat in the resistor. This is because the current flowing through the resistor encounters resistance, which dissipates the energy as heat. As the capacitor fully discharges, all of its stored energy is converted into heat and the circuit reaches equilibrium.