RCL Circuit - Problem due at 11 PM EST tonight, have been working on it for days

• Thread starter phys62
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuit
In summary, a series RCL circuit with a capacitor, inductor, and generator was analyzed. The instantaneous value of the voltage across the capacitor/inductor combination at t=4.32x10^-4 s was found to be 27.77 V. However, the calculation for the instantaneous current was incorrect due to an incorrect phase angle. The correct phase angle should be subtracted since the inductive reactance (XL) is greater than the capacitive reactance (XC). The correct value for the instantaneous current at t=4.32x10^-4 s is 0.841 A.
phys62
1. Homework Statement
A series RCL circuit contains only a capacitor (C = 8.46 μF), an inductor (L = 6.01 mH), and a generator (peak voltage = 77.4 V, frequency = 2.45 x 103 Hz). When t = 0 s, the instantaneous value of the voltage is zero, and it rises to a maximum one-quarter of a period later. (a) Find the instantaneous value of the voltage across the capacitor/inductor combination when t = 4.32 x 10^-4 s. (b) What is the instantaneous value of the current when t = 4.32 x 10^-4 s?

2. Homework Equations
v(t) = V*sin(2pi*ft)
z= square root(R^2 + (Xl-Xc)^2)
I=V/Z

3. The Attempt at a Solution
the instantaneous voltage in part a = 27.77 V. (this is correct)

my answer to part b is incorrect but I don't know why:

X of L=2pi(2450)(.00601)=92.5 Ohms
X of X=1/(2pi(2450)c) = 7.678 Ohms
Z=square root(0^2 - (92.5 - 7.678)^2) = 84.822
I0=V0/Z = 77.4/84.822 = 0.91249 A
I=I0sin(2pi*ft + (pi/2))
I=(0.91249)sin(2pi(2450)(4.34x10^-4) + (pi/2)) = 0.841 A

Physics news on Phys.org
Going through your answer very quickly, all I can spot is your phase angle. Since it's almost purely inductive you should have a minus where the plus now is. Hopefully I'm not too late.

Oh wow... I can't believe that was it. It was too late for full credit, but now I know that for my test tomorrow. Thanks! :D

To further help you determine the sign of the phase angle. If XL is greater than XC then you need to subtract the angle, if XL is smaller than XC you need to add the angle.

1. What is an RCL circuit?

An RCL circuit is a type of electric circuit that contains a resistor (R), capacitor (C), and inductor (L). These three components are connected in series and can be used to control the flow of electricity in a circuit.

2. How does an RCL circuit work?

An RCL circuit works by storing and releasing energy through the interaction of the resistor, capacitor, and inductor. When a voltage is applied to the circuit, the capacitor charges up, storing energy. As the capacitor discharges, the inductor creates a magnetic field, which then causes the capacitor to recharge. This cycle continues, creating an oscillation of energy in the circuit.

3. What are some common problems with RCL circuits?

Some common problems with RCL circuits include overvoltage, which can damage the components, and resonance, which can cause unwanted oscillations and distortions in the circuit. Other issues may include incorrect component values, poor connections, and faulty components.

4. How do you troubleshoot an RCL circuit?

To troubleshoot an RCL circuit, you can start by checking the connections and making sure they are secure. Then, you can use a multimeter to measure the voltage and current at various points in the circuit. If there are any components that are not functioning correctly, they may need to be replaced.

5. What are some practical applications of RCL circuits?

RCL circuits have many practical applications, including in radio and television receivers, electronic filters, and oscillators. They are also commonly used in electrical power systems for voltage regulation and power factor correction. In addition, RCL circuits can be found in electronic devices such as computers, smartphones, and other consumer electronics.