1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Re-arranging equation: negative time for exponential

1. Apr 20, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have a sequence whereby
    10000=100(1+e^(kt)+e^(2kt)+...+e^(39kt)) where k=-4.7947012×10^(-3) which was dervied from dy/dt=ky
    Re-arranging i get 99=1+e^(kt)+e^(2kt)+...+e^(39kt), letting e^(kt)=r I put it into the computer and
    i get 1.04216=r=e^-4.7947012×10^(-3)t
    taking ln of both sides and dividing by the number gives a negative time value. Any help is highly appreciate.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

With a negative k, t has to be negative, too. That is a correct solution of the equation. If a negative time value is impossible, your equation (or k) has to be wrong.

There is an analytic solution, by the way.

4. Apr 20, 2013 #3
    Analytical, how so?

5. Apr 20, 2013 #4
    Is it by stating that, if assuming that all doses haven't decayed, the maxmimum amount is 3900 only.

6. Apr 20, 2013 #5

mfb

2016 Award

With r=e^(kt), your equation gets 99=r^0 + r^1 + r^2 + ... + r^39
    That is a geometric expression, and has a nice formula.

7. Apr 20, 2013 #6

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Right. And that gives you a degree = 40 polynomial to solve---not easy at all, and I doubt there is an analytical formula for its solution.

8. Apr 20, 2013 #7

mfb

2016 Award

Hmm, you are right. Well, at least it is easier to solve it numerically that way (which does not matter if a computer solves it).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted