1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Re: Entropy - Actually a question about working in Polar Coordinates

1. Oct 3, 2013 #1
    Re: Entropy -- Actually a question about working in Polar Coordinates

show that [itex]\frac{d\hat{r}}{dt}[/itex]=[itex]\hat{θ}[/itex][itex]\dot{θ}[/itex]

also, [itex]\frac{d\hat{θ}}{dt}[/itex]=-[itex]\dot{θ}[/itex]r

i've tried finding the relationship between r and theta via turning it into Cartesian coord.s, and i've tried the S=theta r but still no luck.

S=theta r

dS/dt=d(theta)/dt r which is similar to the RHS of the second equation i'm supposed to show. but i don't know how to turn dS/dt into dtheta hat /dt

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2013 #2

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What are the cartesian coordinates of those polar coordinate unit vectors? What happens when you differentiate with respect to time?

4. Oct 3, 2013 #3
    my appologies about the title

[itex]\hat{r}[/itex]=[itex]\hat{x}[/itex]+[itex]\hat{y}[/itex]

d[itex]\hat{r}[/itex]/dt = d([itex]\hat{x}[/itex]+[itex]\hat{y}[/itex])/dt=d[itex]\hat{x}[/itex]/dt+d[itex]\hat{y}[/itex]/dt

[itex]\hat{θ}[/itex]=?

Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
  5. Oct 3, 2013 #4

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Is ##\hat x + \hat y## a unit vector? (No.)

And that is not ##\hat r##.

6. Oct 3, 2013 #5
    As DH is requesting, do you know how to express [itex]\hat{r}[/itex] and [itex]\hat{\theta}[/itex] in terms of [itex]\hat{x}[/itex], [itex]\hat{y}[/itex], sinθ, and cosθ?

7. Oct 3, 2013 #6
    oops, sorry i misread aGAiN.. i have that habbit.

please clearify this for me

[itex]\hat{x}[/itex]= the x component of [itex]\hat{r}[/itex]? if it is, i can find x.. if it's not. then i am even more lost than i thought i was.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
  8. Oct 3, 2013 #7

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You've been given a very good hint. Look in your textbook and your class notes. This homework question was not asked out of thin air. If this is a homework problem from your textbook, that information is right there in your book. It's in the same chapter as the question is in.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted