Re-write as a system of first order ODEs

In summary, to rewrite higher order DEs into a system of first order linear ODEs, you can make a change of variable and use substitution to obtain a first order system of ODE. Alternatively, you can combine equations and differentiate to eliminate higher order terms and obtain a system of first order ODEs.
anonymity
hello,

I am going through the first chapter (a review chapter) of a second-course book in ODEs, and can't seem to remember how to re-write higher order DEs into a system of first order linear ODEs, and my old textbook only shows this for second order equations...

The question is: "Write the following differential equations as a system of first order ODEs:

y'' -5y'+6y=0
-y''-2y' = 7cos(y')
y(4) - y'' + 8y' + y2 = ex "

Physics news on Phys.org
How about letting [itex]y=y_0, y'=y_1[/itex] et cetera?

You have to make a change of variable, you can call y'=z and by doing the substitution you obtain a first order system of ODE.

Sorry for my English and I'll do it later from my computer if I haven't explained myself properly.

anonymity said:
hello,

I am going through the first chapter (a review chapter) of a second-course book in ODEs, and can't seem to remember how to re-write higher order DEs into a system of first order linear ODEs, and my old textbook only shows this for second order equations...

The question is: "Write the following differential equations as a system of first order ODEs:

y'' -5y'+6y=0
-y''-2y' = 7cos(y')
y(4) - y'' + 8y' + y2 = ex "
Add the first two equations to eliminate y'' .

Is the really cos(y') and not cos(y) ?

Getting rid of the 4th derivative may be more difficult. I think you can differentiate the first two, one of them once, the other twice to eliminate y(4) (and the y''' you'll introduce).

Alternatively: If that's a cos(y), then you could combin the first two equations to eliminate y'. Differentiate that twice to get an additional equation with y(4) and y' and y. Combine that with the third equation to eliminate y(4) .

1. What is a system of first order ODEs?

A system of first order ODEs stands for a system of first order ordinary differential equations. It is a set of equations that describe the rate of change of several dependent variables with respect to an independent variable. The equations are first order, meaning they involve only first derivatives of the dependent variables.

2. Why is it important to re-write equations as a system of first order ODEs?

Re-writing equations as a system of first order ODEs allows us to solve them using numerical methods, such as Euler's method or Runge-Kutta methods. This is especially useful when the equations are complex and do not have an analytical solution. It also helps in analyzing the behavior of a system over time.

3. How do you re-write equations as a system of first order ODEs?

To re-write equations as a system of first order ODEs, we need to introduce new variables and rewrite the higher order derivatives as first order derivatives. This involves breaking down the original equations into a set of first order equations, often using substitution or re-arrangement.

4. Can any equation be re-written as a system of first order ODEs?

Not all equations can be rewritten as a system of first order ODEs. Some equations, such as partial differential equations, cannot be written as a system of first order equations. Additionally, certain non-linear equations may not have a unique solution when written as a system of first order ODEs.

5. What are the advantages of using a system of first order ODEs over higher order ODEs?

There are several advantages of using a system of first order ODEs over higher order ODEs. Firstly, the numerical methods used to solve first order ODEs are more accurate and efficient. Additionally, it allows us to easily incorporate more complex systems and boundary conditions. It also helps in understanding the behavior of the system and making predictions about its future behavior.