Reaction confusion with a lab we did last week.

In summary, the conversation is about a lab experiment involving Na2CO3 and BaCl2, which formed a white precipitate. The person is unsure if NaCl was dissolved or if it was the white precipitate they saw. They then added HNO3 to the mixture and it dissolved the precipitate. They are asking for help in writing a net ionic equation and are advised to check solubility rules and properties of carbonates.
Titandwedebil
Okay, so we did a lab in class with Na2CO3 in BaCl2 first. The reaction formed a white precipitate, and I suppose the products are BaCO3 + 2NaCl. Not sure if NaCl is dissolved or not, or if it was the white precipitate I saw, but anyways, here's my question...

We added HNO3 to that new mixture, BaCO3 + 2NaCl, and it DISSOLVED the precipitate. We're supposed to write a net ionic for it, but I'm not sure what it'd be? Could someone help me out?

Physics news on Phys.org
Two things you should do:

1. Check solubility rules. What do they say about solubility of carbonates? Solubility of chlorides?

2. Check properties of carbonates. In some ways they are all very similar.

1. What is reaction confusion?

Reaction confusion refers to the confusion or uncertainty that arises when analyzing the results of a scientific experiment, particularly in regards to the reactions observed.

2. What causes reaction confusion?

Reaction confusion can be caused by a variety of factors, such as incomplete or inconsistent data, unexpected results, or errors in the experimental procedure.

3. How can reaction confusion be minimized or avoided?

To minimize or avoid reaction confusion, it is important to carefully plan and conduct the experiment, record and analyze data accurately, and repeat the experiment multiple times to ensure consistent results. Additionally, seeking guidance from a mentor or consulting relevant literature can also help to clarify any confusion.

4. Can reaction confusion be beneficial in any way?

Yes, reaction confusion can sometimes lead to unexpected discoveries or insights that may have otherwise been overlooked. It can also encourage scientists to critically evaluate their methods and results, leading to a deeper understanding of the experiment.

5. How should one approach resolving reaction confusion?

To resolve reaction confusion, it is important to carefully review and analyze the data, consider potential sources of error, and consult with colleagues or mentors. It may also be helpful to repeat the experiment or conduct further research to gain a better understanding of the reactions observed.