Reading a specific column from .csv into fortran

In summary, a .csv file is a type of text file that stores data in a table format, separated by commas and new lines. To read a specific column from a .csv file in Fortran, you can use the "OPEN" statement with the "DELIM=" option and the "READ" statement with the "INTENT(IN)" attribute. The data is typically stored as character strings and may need to be converted using functions. Multiple columns can be read using a loop or array, and missing or invalid data can be handled using the "IOSTAT" option and conditional statements or the "NULL" keyword.
rajith
Hi, I am using fortran to read specific columns from a .csv file. the rows in each columns are different, so I wish to read columns wise with a do loop. say, I wish to read from A1 to D20 initially(4 columns of 20 rows), then later f1 to h35 (3 columns, 35 rows). how do I read particular columns alone. thanks

Technology news on Phys.org
jedishrfu said:
You have to read all columns and pick the one you want.

True, but only one of them has to be an array.

Likes jedishrfu

1. How do I read a specific column from a .csv file into Fortran?

To read a specific column from a .csv file into Fortran, you can use the "READ" statement with the "DELIM" option. This allows you to specify the delimiter used in the .csv file, and then you can access the values in the desired column using array indexing.

2. Can I read multiple columns from a .csv file into Fortran at once?

Yes, you can use the "READ" statement with the "DELIM" option to specify the delimiter and read multiple columns at once. You can also use a DO loop to read in each column individually.

3. What happens if the .csv file has missing values in the column I am trying to read?

If the .csv file has missing values in the column you are trying to read, you can use the "IOSTAT" option in the "READ" statement to check for any errors. You can then handle the missing values as needed in your code.

4. How do I handle different data types in the column I am reading?

To handle different data types in the column you are reading, you can use the "FORMAT" option in the "READ" statement to specify the data format for each value in the column. You can also use the "KIND" option to specify the kind of data type for each value.

5. Is there a limit to the number of columns I can read from a .csv file in Fortran?

There is no specific limit to the number of columns you can read from a .csv file in Fortran. However, it is important to consider the memory and storage limitations of your computer when reading in a large number of columns.