1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reading acceleration vs. time graphs

1. Jun 24, 2007 #1

exi

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[​IMG]

(The particle starts from rest at the origin.)

1: What is the velocity at t = 5s?

2: What is the position at t = 5s?

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm thinking -2 m/s velocity and -8 m position at t = 5s, but would like someone to double-check my understanding of reading velocity and position from this graph. The negative acceleration at origin combined with that instantaneous change at t = 1 have me a bit unsure of myself.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 24, 2007 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

The zero acceleration simply means that the speed is constant after 1 sec, i.e. there is no further acceleration.

So the maximum speed (magnitude of velocity) is achieved at 1 sec.

Starting from rest with a negative acceleration, this would imply acceleration in the negative direction. Normally negative acceleration would imply a deceleration in the + direction.

4. Jun 24, 2007 #3

exi

yes sir, so does my thinking at t = 5 sound correct, or am I a bit off?

5. Jun 24, 2007 #4

Astronuc

What is the velocity at 1 sec? It is constant thereafter.

6. Jun 24, 2007 #5

exi

Either -1 or -2 m/s. That change at t=1 is what's making me a little unsure as to whether there's an extra increment of acceleration.

So velocity at t=5 is either -1 or -2, and position is... I'm still guessing -8 based on what I mentioned in the original post, but that depends on what I'm asking here, as well.

7. Jun 24, 2007 #6

Astronuc

Well, for 1 s, the acceleration is constant at -1 m/s2.

v = a*t = -1 m/s2 * 1 s = ?

At t = 1 s, the acceleration drops to zero. That is a discontinuity. Since a = 0, v is constant and equal to v(t= 1s).

8. Jun 24, 2007 #7

exi

Okay, so at t = 5, velocity is -1 m/s.

Oh wow, I was way off on that. Am I correct in using:

[tex]\Delta x = V_ot + \frac{at^2}{2}[/tex]

twice, once for t(0,1) and t(1,5), adding the results, and getting -4.5m for position @ t=5s?

9. Jun 24, 2007 #8

Astronuc

The problem can be broken into two time intervals, yes. 0 to 1s, with constant acceleration, the 1 to 5s, at constant velocity.

For the first part of the problem, vo = 0, a = -1 m/s2, over the time interval 0 to 1s.

For the second part of the problem, vo = - 1 m/s, and a = 0, for t = 1 s to 5 s.

and -4.5m for position @ t=5s is correct.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?