Reading Physics Fifth Edition by James S. Walker

In summary, the conversation discusses a college student's concerns about studying for their Physics 101 class. Some suggestions are to do all the problems in the back of the chapter, use the answer key to check answers, do example problems, and find a study group. The student expresses worries about not doing well and needing to re-read chapters. The other person advises taking ownership of their studies and studying until they understand the material. The student also mentions being pre-med and always feeling worried.
Turkishking
I am a college student taking Physics 101. I am currently reading Physics Fifth Edition by James S. Walker. Have any of you guys used this textbook? How should I study? Do I do every problem in the back of the chapter? And if it requires hours of consistency, do you recommend I stay up and force myself to do every problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
Check the answer key at the back and see what problems they do and then try those.

Some books do every odd problem or every even problem.

You could also try to do the example problems in the chapter and see how your solution matches up.

Also as a secondary reference check out the Openstax Physics books:

https://openstax.org/subjects/science

I feel worried I won't do well. I don't know what to do please help me

As for any class, it helps to do all of the questions in the back of the chapters. Why would you not do them, especially considering how afraid you seem to be to not understand the material? Put in the work. As per the amount of study time, everyone is different and its impossible to tell you how much you need. Give yourself some credit.

DS2C said:
As for any class, it helps to do all of the questions in the back of the chapters. Why would you not do them, especially considering how afraid you seem to be to not understand the material? Put in the work. As per the amount of study time, everyone is different and its impossible to tell you how much you need. Give yourself some credit.
i don't know how to give myself credit the pace is very fast and my first quiz is on monday, and I am worried i will do poorly. reading a chapter takes a very long time for me. I'm not sure if over the weekend if I should re-read chapters 1 and 2

Study what youve gone over in the class. Do the example problems (not sure how this was even a question). Find a study group possibly.
Dont take this the wrong way, I am not trying to insult you, but you come off as very whiny about it... almost like youre in a proverbial fetal position for the class. I say that because maybe you don't notice it, but its a terrible way to approach your difficulties. Take ownership of your studies and put your face in the book rather than asking how much you should be studying for something you can't grasp. The answer is simple- study it until you understand it.

DS2C said:
Study what youve gone over in the class. Do the example problems (not sure how this was even a question). Find a study group possibly.
Dont take this the wrong way, I am not trying to insult you, but you come off as very whiny about it... almost like youre in a proverbial fetal position for the class. I say that because maybe you don't notice it, but its a terrible way to approach your difficulties. Take ownership of your studies and put your face in the book rather than asking how much you should be studying for something you can't grasp. The answer is simple- study it until you understand it.
Well I'm pre-med so I'm always worried :(

1. What is the main focus of "Reading Physics Fifth Edition" by James S. Walker?

The main focus of this book is to provide a comprehensive understanding of the fundamental principles and concepts of physics.

2. Is this book suitable for beginners in physics?

Yes, this book is designed for students who have little to no prior knowledge of physics. It starts with the basics and gradually builds upon concepts to ensure a thorough understanding.

3. How is the content organized in this book?

The content is organized into 46 chapters, covering topics such as mechanics, thermodynamics, electricity and magnetism, optics, and modern physics. Each chapter includes clear explanations, examples, and practice problems to reinforce learning.

4. Are there any additional learning resources included in the book?

Yes, this book also includes online learning resources such as interactive simulations, videos, and practice quizzes to further enhance understanding and retention of the material.

5. Is the book updated with the latest scientific discoveries and advancements?

Yes, the fifth edition of "Reading Physics" is updated with the latest research and developments in the field of physics, making it a relevant and up-to-date resource for students and researchers alike.