1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Real Analysis Convergence Question

1. Oct 22, 2013 #1
    1) Use mathematical induction to prove that for any k ∈ N, lim (1+k/n)^n = e^k.

I already used monotone Convergence Thm to prove k=1 case. Do I just need to go through the same process to show k? If not, could you please help?

2) Suppose that ( x_n ) is a sequence of real numbers, ( y_n ) is a bounded sequence of non-zero real numbers, and that lim x_n/ y_n = 1. Prove that lim x_n - y_n = 0.

Since y_n is bounded, there exist M such that |y_n| <= M for all n in N. Then what should I do?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2013 #2

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

1) Next you show that if it is true for some k, then it is true for k+1. You are anchored on k=1, so the glide
    from k -> k+1 takes care of the rest.

4. Oct 22, 2013 #3

BTP

2) To solve the problem you have to show for every ε>0 there exists an N .st. if n>N then |x_n - y_n|<ε. Now since x_n/y_n-->1 , given an ε>0 there exist N .st. if n>N then 1-ε< x_n/y_n <1 +ε. And now given that y_n>0 makes the next step easier. (When proving limits always go back to the basic definition to see where you need to go). Anyway now you are in business...

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
  5. Oct 22, 2013 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

BTP deleted the response to post 1) but I'll echo it. It's insane to do this by induction if you are anchored on k=1. I don't even see how you would do it. It's just a change of variables. 1+k/n=1+1/(n/k). Change the limiting variable to n'=n/k.

6. Oct 23, 2013 #5

BTP

I wasn't sure of etiquette so I pulled my insane comment. But now I know.

7. Oct 23, 2013 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Calling a person insane is one thing. Calling a question strategy insane is another.

8. Oct 23, 2013 #7

BTP

Ha, I got the not calling a person insane part. I wasn't sure about calling a problem insane. Cheers!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted