Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Real Analysis -Open/Closed sets of Metric Spaces

1. Dec 10, 2006 #1
    So I have an exam in Real Analysis I coming up next week and I was hoping if someone can help me out.

I hope my question makes sense because I think I might be confused with defining the metric space or so...

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

a)Suppose that we have a metric space M with the discrete metric

d(x,y) = 1 if x = y
    d(x,y) = 0 if x =/= y

Is this open or closed?

b)Suppose that we are in R (the real line) and the metric is define as

d(x,y) = 1 if x = y
    d(x,y) = 0 if x =/= y

Is this open or closed?

2. Relevant equations

Definition:

A set is Y open if every point in Y is an interior point
    A set is Y closed if every point in Y is an limit point

3. The attempt at a solution

a)Im not even sure if question a makes sense because I didn't define the metric.

b) I'm pretty sure it is open and closed because both the definitions work.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2006 #2

StatusX

Homework Helper

Is what open/closed? You haven't identified a set, only the metric. Also I think you have the definiton of the discrete metric backwards.

4. Dec 10, 2006 #3
    oh darn...

5. Dec 10, 2006 #4
    Can we focus on part b) only.

What if the set was just R (the entire real line)

Then it is open and closed?

6. Dec 10, 2006 #5

StatusX

Homework Helper

Remember, a set is only open or closed relative to a given topology. For a metric space, there is a natural induced topology from the metric. But for your last question the topology doesn't matter: for any topology on a space X, X is, by definition, open (and closed) in the topology.

In fact, the discrete metric induces the discrete topology, in which every subset is open (and closed).

7. Dec 10, 2006 #6
    Oh okay...

I find the discrete metric very unusual

8. Dec 10, 2006 #7

StatusX

Homework Helper

It's not that complicated. Every point has a ball containing it and no other points (eg, of radius 1/2), which just means points are open sets. Since unions of open sets are open, this means all sets are open.

The picture I get is sort of a lattice of isolated points. Also, don't get too hung up on the distances actually all being 1. This may be hard to visualize (if there are more than 4 points it's impossible to embed them in 3D space so they're all a distance 1 from every other point). But all that matters for most purposes is that it induces the discrete topology.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook