1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Real analysis - questions on integration

1. Mar 11, 2009 #1
    Here is my problem that seems to be easy but I cannot seem to manage to find the answer

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

let f(x) = 1 if x=1/n for some positive integer n
    = 0 if else

the question asks to show f Riemann integrable and find the integral of this function over [0,1]

2. Relevant equations

f on [a,b] is Riemann integrable if U(f) = L(f) (where U(f) is the inf of the set of upper sums of f with respect to p in P, where p is a partition of [a,b] and P is the set of all partitions of [a,b]. And L(f) is defined similarly replacing inf with sup and upper with lower)

3. The attempt at a solution

To show that it is Riemann integrable I construct a sequence of partitions of [0,1] where the nth partition is defined as [0,1] being split up into n (equal sized) pieces. so x_k = k/n for some n in the naturals. Then I showed that U(f,P_n) - L(f,_n) = 1/n and so it's limit is 0. Thus by the sequential criterion for integrability (I believe it's called Cauchy criterion for Riemann integrability), f is integrable on [0,1]. I think this argument is correct.

I am having trouble evaluating the integral and request some help. I know the standard techniques for integrals (parts, substitution, etc) but i can't seem to find a use for them, which makes me think I should use a theorem to reduce the integral to a simple case and then the result will follow. We just started integration so the theorems we know are about continuous functions, functions with a finite (or content zero) number of discontinuities, and a few corollaries to the previous theorems.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2009 #2

lurflurf

Homework Helper

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook