1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Real Analysis (Rudin) exercise with inequalities

1. Jul 21, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose k>2, x, y in R^k, |x-y| = d > 0, and r > 0.
    Prove if 2r > d, there are infinitely many z in R^k such that
    |z-x| = |z-y| = r

(In Principles of Mathematical Analysis, it is problem 16(a) on page 23.)
    2. Relevant equations
    |ax| = |a||x|
    |x-z| < or = |x-y| + |y-z|
    |x+y| < or = |x| + |y|

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm not quite sure how to tackle this proof. Here's the general outline I have:
    - Show that there exists at least one z.
    - Suppose there existed one and only one z. Is there a contradiction? Or, can I find z', a linear combination of z that also works and then from z' use the same rule to get z'', ad infinitum?

As you can see, I don't really know how to tackle "show there are infinitely many solutions" proofs.
    One thought I had was, well, suppose z satisfies the necessary conditions.
    Can I show that there exists c in R or d in R^k such that z' = cz + d also satisfies the necessary conditions?

But all I can get is |z' - y| = |z - y + d| < or = |z-y| + |d|
    And |z' - y| has to = |z-y| = r, but that doesn't tell me anything.

Can someone give a hint or two to point me in the right direction? How should I tackle this problem?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 21, 2010 #2
    Once you show that some z satisfies the equation, you can use the definition of the distance function in R^k to yield two quadratic equations in at least three unknowns. Expand with the binomial theorem and you cancel out the components of z and thus there are two linear equations in at k>2 unknowns, which has infinite solutions.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook