Real life examples of spring energy storage

In summary: So if you want a spring with a 50kN rate and a 10mm maximum deflection, you would need a spring with a 200kN rate.
Ryan_m_b
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Tonight I've had a deceptively simple question that I've found maddeningly difficult to get an answer to. What I'm looking for is a list of springs with information on how much they can be compressed and how much energy they store. E.g.:

Steel spring from company A has dimensions X, Y, Z and can be compressed U% holding Vj of energy.

Instead though all I can find is explanations of Hooke's law and hypothetical examples. Most sites seem to assume that the person asking has a spring they want to rest and so can just figure out energy storage by piling weights on and working through Hooke's law. Whereas I'm just looking for a simple set of figures.

Any pointers to such a fact sheet would be greatly appreciated!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Look at garage door opener counterweight springs?

berkeman said:
Look at garage door opener counterweight springs?

Do you mean google counterweight springs or go to a garage and observe on directly? I can do (and in another window currently are doing) the former but I live in a block of flats without a garage so the latter would be difficult.

I'd try garage door installation websites, and maybe wikipedia. Let me have a look at wikipedia...

berkeman said:
I'd try garage door installation websites, and maybe wikipedia. Let me have a look at wikipedia...

Working my way through this one at the moment. Cheers for the help :smile:

Will do! Thanks.

Valve springs seem to have come up trumps, found http://dairally.net/daihard/chas/MiscCalculators/DaiValveSpring.htm that has lots of information and calculators. Seems enough to satisfy my curiosity for now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are trumps good or bad?

Lol sorry, to come up trumps is to be successful/provide a solution :smile:

Another example would be the gas spring in your office chair (assuming you have an office). The energy stored = mgh where m is your mass and h is the distance it is compressed.

A mechanical watch.

Fundamentally, energy is stored in the elastic material. Look at a stress – strain diagram, identify the extent of elastic deformation, before plastic deformation or failure. You then know the maximum energy storage possible for a particular mass of that material. The shape of the spring you make from that material will determine the particular spring constant.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hooke's_law#General_application_to_elastic_materials

What size springs? This site allows you to specify the diameter, relaxed length and spring constant (Rate). I put some numbers in and it came up with 17,000 to choose from and they were just the compression springs. They also do extension, torsion and conical springs.

https://www.thespringstore.com/tech-info/off-the-shelf-springs.html?category_id=3#

It doesn't give you the energy storage but that can be easily calculated from the rate (k) and the suggested maximum deflection (x).

E = 0.5kx2

1. What is spring energy storage?

Spring energy storage is a method of storing potential energy by compressing or stretching a spring. When the spring is released, the stored energy is converted into kinetic energy and can be used to power various devices.

2. What are some real life examples of spring energy storage?

Some common examples of spring energy storage include wind-up toys, mechanical clocks, and pogo sticks. Springs are also used in larger scale energy storage systems, such as in hydroelectric power plants and mechanical watches.

3. How efficient is spring energy storage?

The efficiency of spring energy storage depends on various factors, such as the type of spring and the mechanism used to compress or stretch it. Generally, spring energy storage systems have an efficiency of around 70-80%, which is comparable to other energy storage methods.

4. What are the advantages of using spring energy storage?

One of the main advantages of spring energy storage is its simplicity and reliability. Springs are durable and can withstand a large number of cycles without significant loss of performance. Additionally, spring energy storage does not produce any emissions and can be easily integrated into existing systems.

5. Are there any limitations to using spring energy storage?

One limitation of spring energy storage is its dependence on mechanical components, which can wear out over time and require maintenance. Additionally, the amount of energy that can be stored in a spring is limited by its size and materials, making it less suitable for large-scale energy storage needs.