Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Real life examples of spring energy storage

1. Aug 11, 2014 #1

Ryan_m_b

Staff: Mentor

Tonight I've had a deceptively simple question that I've found maddeningly difficult to get an answer to. What I'm looking for is a list of springs with information on how much they can be compressed and how much energy they store. E.g.:

Steel spring from company A has dimensions X, Y, Z and can be compressed U% holding Vj of energy.

Instead though all I can find is explanations of Hooke's law and hypothetical examples. Most sites seem to assume that the person asking has a spring they want to rest and so can just figure out energy storage by piling weights on and working through Hooke's law. Whereas I'm just looking for a simple set of figures.

Any pointers to such a fact sheet would be greatly appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 11, 2014 #2

berkeman

Look at garage door opener counterweight springs?

4. Aug 11, 2014 #3

Ryan_m_b

Do you mean google counterweight springs or go to a garage and observe on directly? I can do (and in another window currently are doing) the former but I live in a block of flats without a garage so the latter would be difficult.

5. Aug 11, 2014 #4

berkeman

I'd try garage door installation websites, and maybe wikipedia. Let me have a look at wikipedia...

6. Aug 11, 2014 #5

Ryan_m_b

Working my way through this one at the moment. Cheers for the help :smile:

7. Aug 11, 2014 #6

berkeman

8. Aug 11, 2014 #7

berkeman

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  9. Aug 11, 2014 #8

Ryan_m_b

Will do! Thanks.

10. Aug 11, 2014 #9

Ryan_m_b

Valve springs seem to have come up trumps, found http://dairally.net/daihard/chas/MiscCalculators/DaiValveSpring.htm [Broken] that has lots of information and calculators. Seems enough to satisfy my curiosity for now.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  11. Aug 11, 2014 #10

berkeman

Are trumps good or bad?

12. Aug 11, 2014 #11

Ryan_m_b

Lol sorry, to come up trumps is to be successful/provide a solution :smile:

13. Aug 11, 2014 #12

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Another example would be the gas spring in your office chair (assuming you have an office). The energy stored = mgh where m is your mass and h is the distance it is compressed.

14. Aug 12, 2014 #13

Lok

A mechanical watch.

15. Aug 12, 2014 #14

Lok

16. Feb 3, 2017 #15

Baluncore

Science Advisor

Fundamentally, energy is stored in the elastic material. Look at a stress – strain diagram, identify the extent of elastic deformation, before plastic deformation or failure. You then know the maximum energy storage possible for a particular mass of that material. The shape of the spring you make from that material will determine the particular spring constant.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hooke's_law#General_application_to_elastic_materials

17. Feb 3, 2017 #16

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What size springs? This site allows you to specify the diameter, relaxed length and spring constant (Rate). I put some numbers in and it came up with 17,000 to choose from and they were just the compression springs. They also do extension, torsion and conical springs.

https://www.thespringstore.com/tech-info/off-the-shelf-springs.html?category_id=3#

It doesn't give you the energy storage but that can be easily calculated from the rate (k) and the suggested maximum deflection (x).

E = 0.5kx2

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted