Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Realistic acceleration (in g's) check?

1. Aug 9, 2013 #1
    Folks - doing some research and just needed a reality check on acceleration - let me know if this makes sense:

If I drop an object, it should take roughly 5 cm (.102 sec) to reach 1 m/s, correct? I'm using the classical physics equations for this (please do a quick verification on this).

Then, if I stop the object after it reaches 1 m/s, and the stopping distance is 1 cm, then I'm getting a NET accelleration of ROUGHLY 5g. Then if that stopping distance decreases to 3 mm it jumps to around 17g. Again, this is a net acceleration.

Just want to verify, I know this is easy, but figured i might as well as post it since i'm rusty at this.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 9, 2013 #2

jbriggs444

Science Advisor

Yes, this is correct.

You can derive the relationship based on equating kinetic energy and work. Halve the distance and you double the required force for a fixed kinetic energy. It's a simple inverse proportion.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook