1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Realistic air velocties regarding a wing while in flight

1. Sep 24, 2015 #1
    I want to know what values would be realistic for the air velocities both going over the top of an aerofoil and going underneath an aerofoil (that is, the velocity over the top of the wing should be greater than the velocity over the bottom by a reasonable amount). Also, the plane is traveling at a unchanging altitude and is moving at an average velocity of 250 m/s.

Sorry if this doesn't really make sense, I just really need to know. I will clarify any questions you may have about this. Thank you guys for your help.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2015 #2

boneh3ad

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Do you have access to a library like at a university? If you check out the book Theory of Wing Sections by Abbott and Von Doenhoff it has that sort of data tabulated at the end in appendices for a number of different airfoil shapes.

4. Sep 24, 2015 #3
    I am sadly unable to get access to a library at the moment.

Also, I'm not really interested in the shape of the aerofoil currently. I'm looking more generalised values, but I would still like them to be realistic.

Anyway, thank you for your time nonetheless!

5. Sep 25, 2015 #4

boneh3ad

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It really depends on the shape though. The value of ##u/U_{\infty}## over the top of an airfoil is going to be less than 2 and greater than 1. Usually it's going to peak in the range of 1.2 to 1.5 or so. On the bottom it is usually somewhere just below 1 for most of the chord length.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook