Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Really basic resistance question, but not sure.

1. Jan 7, 2008 #1
    Hey guys,

I feel like an idiot asking this, but if the question is talking about 1k7 ohms of resistance, am i to believe that is the same as 1700 ohms?

Thanks ^^

James

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 7, 2008 #2

stewartcs

Science Advisor

Yes.

CS

4. Jan 7, 2008 #3

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

What is this notation?

5. Jan 7, 2008 #4

stewartcs

Science Advisor

I think its crap. Doesn't really make sense to me, but I've seen it on spec sheets before (then they put = 1700 ohms beside it in parenthesis).

CS

6. Jan 7, 2008 #5

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

From what you say, I presume it's done by engineers?

7. Jan 7, 2008 #6

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Dunno if it's crap, but you do see it in various places, so it's good to be familiar with it.

1k7 = 1.7k Ohms

1r7 = 1.7 Ohms

8. Jan 7, 2008 #7

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

Just one more question. You both say this is seen in various places, like spec sheets. Where else?

9. Jan 7, 2008 #8

stewartcs

Science Advisor

That's a new one I haven't seen.

I suppose it may be to standardize the use of a comma (in Europe and other places) and a decimal in the US.

i.e. 1,7KOhms compared to 1.7KOhms.

10. Jan 7, 2008 #9

berkeman

It's common on European schematics. Either in application notes, or in customer schematics (in my work, I help out with customer design reviews fairly often, so I see a lot of schematics from all over the world).

Also, you'll sometimes see medium-size power resistors labeled with the 2R2 type of notation, if the value is written on the resistor (as opposed to using colored bands).

11. Jan 7, 2008 #10

ranger

Gold Member

Isn't it also possible for that notation to represent a potentiometer? I could swear that I've built circuits using 4k7 pots.

12. Jan 7, 2008 #11

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

And that would mean...?

13. Jan 7, 2008 #12
    I've seen the notation on the resistors themselves before.

14. Jan 7, 2008 #13

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Which simply means a potentiometer with a maximum resistance of 4k7, i.e. 4700 Ohms

This notation is very common and often very conventient; especially when you have small letters on a component since you do not have to use a point since e.g. 1.7k can easily be misstaken for 17k. 1k7 and 17k look very different.

15. Jan 7, 2008 #14

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

> 1k7 = 1.7k Ohms

> 1r7 = 1.7 Ohms

The k I've understood, but what is the 'r'? What would be 720 in this notation? (I don't know what they use for 100. But, suppose they use h, then it'll be 7h2, right)

16. Jan 7, 2008 #15

berkeman

I belive the R is just to show it is a resistor.

17. Jan 7, 2008 #16

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

And the 'k'?

18. Jan 7, 2008 #17

berkeman

Kilo = 1000

Since there is no prefix for unity, they apparently picked the "R" for the resistor decimal point designator.

You will also see 47R for 47 Ohms, BTW.

19. Jan 7, 2008 #18
    The electronics use k with the meaning Kohm, not k as 1000x. It's just a coincidence. They never use h or d to mean x100 or x10.
    Resistors of several kilo ohm to a hundred kohm are very common, so they just say 2.2 k or 2k2, 100k etc.
    They also use r as ohm, just because in electronic circuit schematics, resistors are often noted as R1, R2 etc...

20. Jan 7, 2008 #19

berkeman

Why do you think it's a coincidence that the prefix k is used for kOhm? How many Ohms in a kOhm?

21. Jan 7, 2008 #20
    If not, they should use k, h, d as well. But i have never heard. I use to spend some time working with electronics circuits , electronics devices and the like, and we used the word k so often that we never thought it's x1000 (in fact it is), I just thought kohm is a unit which is used as often as ohm (even more).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?