Really basic, simple concept question

• Thread starter phys-lexic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Concept
In summary, when converting between metric system SI units, the general rules are to use the conversion factors of 1cm = 0.01m and 1/cm = 1/0.01m. For example, to convert 2.7 g/cm^3 to g/m^3, it would be 2.7E-6 g/m^3 since the conversion factor for volume is 1/cm^3 = 10^6 m^3. However, it can be tricky when converting units that are not simply meters or grams.
phys-lexic
it's been a while since I've taken any math based classes (all chem and bio for the last few years)... kinda embaressing but what are the rules in converting metric system s.i. units?

i.e. with 2.7 g/cm^3 into meters

would it be .027g/m^3 or would it be 2.7E-6 g/m^3 (cuz i know it would be the second one with volume, but since it is a denomenator here I am not 100% sure)

... what are the general rules when converting units that aren't simply meter or grams, etc.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
It can be tricky.
1cm = 0.01m
so 1cm^2 = (0.01m)^2 = 0.0001 m^2
1/cm = 1/0.01m
1/cm^2 = 1/0.01m^2 = 1/0.0001 m^2
1/cm^3 = 1/0.01m^3 = 1/0.000001 m^3 = 1/10^-6 m^3 = 10^6 m^3

What is the scientific method?

The scientific method is a systematic approach to answering questions and solving problems that involves making observations, forming a hypothesis, designing and conducting experiments, analyzing data, and drawing conclusions.

What is a hypothesis?

A hypothesis is a proposed explanation for a phenomenon that can be tested through experimentation. It is an educated guess based on prior knowledge and observations.

What is a control group?

A control group is a group in an experiment that is not exposed to the independent variable, and is used as a baseline for comparison to the experimental group. It helps to determine the effects of the independent variable on the dependent variable.

What is a dependent variable?

A dependent variable is the variable in an experiment that is being measured or observed. It is expected to change in response to the independent variable, which is manipulated by the researcher.

What is a peer-reviewed article?

A peer-reviewed article is a research paper that has been evaluated and critiqued by experts in the same field before being published in a scientific journal. This process helps to ensure the accuracy and validity of the research findings.