1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculus Really need to read the textbook?

1. Mar 27, 2016 #1
    Hello everybody, I am taking a calculus 1 course at my local community college this summer. I was wondering if it is absolutely necessary to read the textbook in math because I see it that the professor teaches the theory and techniques in lecture, and covers the same exact material. Right? What was it like when you went to college? Thank you for any feedback.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2016 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Yes, you absolutely need to read the textbook.

4. Mar 27, 2016 #3

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Why not read it? There may be more ideas than you think and you may see something that will prompt a question to the prof.

Also some profs, teach one thing in class and then test on stuff from the book + the lecture notes.

5. Mar 27, 2016 #4
    It takes alot of time

6. Mar 27, 2016 #5

jedishrfu

says the lazy student.

7. Mar 27, 2016 #6

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Yes, studying calculus should take a lot of time.

8. Mar 27, 2016 #7
    Yeah not gonna lie. I dont find it necessary to waste my time though when the professor would cover it in lecture

9. Mar 27, 2016 #8
    I dont get why i would waste my time though when the professor is going to cover the same material in lecture.

10. Mar 27, 2016 #9

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

1. You won't make it very far in science
    2. You won't properly understand calculus
    3. It's not a waste of time

But sure, you might pass the course this way.

11. Mar 27, 2016 #10
    As long as I pass and get that A

12. Mar 27, 2016 #11

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Yep sure. If that's your goal, then you don't need to read the textbook at all.

13. Mar 27, 2016 #12
    Is that sarcasm

14. Mar 27, 2016 #13

jedishrfu

What did you expect us to say? Why did you even bother to ask this knowing what we would say?

I really hope the prof gives you a problem found only in the book and that its one of the tricky ones. Only then will you understand that there's more to getting an A than getting an A. Why not try for a perfect grade of no mistakes now?

Eventually you'll discover that Calculus is child's play compared to the more advanced courses you'll be taking in the future.

15. Mar 27, 2016 #14
    Well he wouldnt because thats not fair

16. Mar 27, 2016 #15

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Not at all. If your only goal is to pass the course, then you don't need to read the textbook at all. No sarcasm.

I just find it incredibly stupid to take a course without trying to properly understand the subject completely.

17. Mar 27, 2016 #16

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

It is fair.

18. Mar 27, 2016 #17
    Well if I get an A doesnt that mean I do understand the material comprehensively?

19. Mar 27, 2016 #18

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Not at all.

20. Mar 27, 2016 #19

jedishrfu

You have so many misconceptions about college. It might not be fair in high school but in college anything is fair even if he mentions some obscure book that pertains to his or her lecture. I've had profs like these and its darn hard to get even a B in the class.

I think its time to close this thread.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook