Reapplying to graduate programs

In summary, it depends on the specifics of your situation whether you should reapply or not. If you have improved your GRE scores significantly, you may be able to use aspects of your application from last year. However, you will likely need to speak with the professors and see if they are interested in you working on a project.
hunter151
Well, as the rejection letters start coming in, I can't help but wonder what it takes to reapply to graduate programs. I believe my application this time around was strong in all aspects except GRE scores (which were quite miserable).

So my question is, if I improve my GRE scores significantly before dec 09, and decide to apply to the same programs I applied to in dec 08, do I have to go through the entire process again? The main problem with this is recommendation letters, since rec letters cannot be as strong a year after having no contact with a professor, as they were during/right after research or classes.

So this is the question, if I choose to reapply for next year, can I use aspects of this year's application, or will I be starting fresh from a clean slate?

Physics news on Phys.org
some schools will let you use the recommendation from your previous app.

hunter151 said:
The main problem with this is recommendation letters, since rec letters cannot be as strong a year after having no contact with a professor, as they were during/right after research or classes.

I doubt very much that the professor would write a brand new letter from scratch.

Thanks for the responses.

Does anyone have personal experience with this? I have a feeling that I will have to choose between going to a school with mediocre/poor physics department (where I already got in with funding), or waiting it out and improving my GRE scores to take another stab at it next year. Any suggestions of what you would do in my shoes?

I think it depends on what you mean by "mediocre/poor." If it means that you've visited the school and were not impressed with the professors, don't believe you would enjoy doing any of the research that is available, don't like the courses they offer, feel like you would be used as a lab technician, or watched the other grad students that you spoke with twitch nervously as they told you come and join the collective - then I would say wait.

However, if the assessment is based largely on external information - such as you initially wanted a 'top 20' school and this one is ranked at 82nd - I would suggest giving it a shot, or at least visiting and/or speaking with the professors over email to see if anyone has a project you would be interested in. After all, when you applied in the first place, something must have caught your attention about the school.

In general, you don't want to turn down an opportunity just because it doesn't have a flashy sign.

1. What is the best time to reapply to graduate programs?

The best time to reapply to graduate programs varies depending on the program and the university. Some programs may only accept applications once a year while others may have rolling admissions. It is important to research each program's application timeline and deadlines to determine the best time to reapply.

2. Will reapplying to graduate programs hurt my chances of acceptance?

Reapplying to graduate programs will not necessarily hurt your chances of acceptance. In fact, it can demonstrate your commitment and dedication to the program. However, it is important to reflect on your previous application and make necessary improvements to increase your chances of acceptance.

3. What should I do differently when reapplying to graduate programs?

When reapplying to graduate programs, it is important to reflect on your previous application and identify any weaknesses. This could include improving your test scores, gaining relevant experience, or strengthening your letters of recommendation. It is also important to research and apply to a diverse range of programs to increase your chances of acceptance.

4. Can I use the same personal statement when reapplying to graduate programs?

In most cases, it is not recommended to use the same personal statement when reapplying to graduate programs. It is important to tailor your personal statement to each program and highlight any new experiences or achievements since your previous application. This will demonstrate your growth and dedication to the program.

5. Is it necessary to reapply to the same graduate program or can I apply to different programs?

There is no right or wrong answer to this question. Reapplying to the same graduate program may demonstrate your persistence and determination, but applying to different programs can also broaden your options and increase your chances of acceptance. It is important to carefully consider your options and choose the best path for your academic and career goals.