Rearrangement of spring equations not making sense

• Thread starter KKiefhaber
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Spring
In summary, rearranging spring equations is necessary for solving for different variables and understanding the relationship between them. This can be done by using algebraic operations to manipulate the equation. If the rearranged equation doesn't make sense, double-checking calculations and understanding the concepts involved is recommended. The process can be applied to any type of spring, but having a good understanding of algebra and the relationship between variables can make it easier. There are no specific shortcuts, but knowledge and practice can make the process quicker.
KKiefhaber
Hello All,
Something that has bugged me as I have been working through my Physics notes is the statement:

angular frequency for a spring: ω=2πf AND f=√(ω/2π)

It seems to me that simply rearranging the angular frequency equation would give f=ω/2π.
I am confused as to where the square root is coming from.

Thanks for any clarification anyone can provide.

Physics news on Phys.org
There must be something wrong with your notes! ω does equal 2∏f and therefore f = 2∏/ω

Maybe you got it confused with the simple harmonic motion eq: [itex]\omega = \sqrt{K/M}[/itex] ?

1. Why do we need to rearrange spring equations?

Rearranging spring equations allows us to solve for different variables in the equation and make calculations easier. It also helps us understand the relationship between different variables in the equation.

2. How do we rearrange spring equations?

The process of rearranging spring equations involves using algebraic operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division to manipulate the equation and isolate the desired variable on one side of the equation.

3. What if the rearranged spring equation doesn't make sense?

If the rearranged spring equation doesn't make sense, it could be due to a mathematical error or an incorrect understanding of the relationship between the variables in the equation. Double-check your calculations and make sure you understand the concepts involved.

4. Can rearranging spring equations be used for any type of spring?

Yes, the process of rearranging spring equations can be used for any type of spring as long as the equation is accurate and represents the relationship between the variables in the specific spring system.

5. Are there any shortcuts to rearranging spring equations?

There are no specific shortcuts to rearranging spring equations, but having a good understanding of algebraic operations and the relationship between variables in the equation can make the process easier and quicker.