Rearranging Kinematic Equations. Help.

In summary, the student is having trouble with rearranging Kinematic equations and needs help with a specific equation. The student was successfully able to reconstruct the equation after being given a general rule. Additionally, when writing (x*y*z)^2 it means all of x*y*z is squared.
KayAr

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The template doesn't really apply to what I need help with. I've missed some school and I need help rearranging Kinematic equations. I am new to physics so please use plain english.

Here's the specific one I am having problems with, but I need a general rule in order to rearrange them:

Δd = ½a(Δt)^2 (trying to get equation for acceleration.)

Physics news on Phys.org
Glad to see you on the physics forums. Welcome!

The general idea is to do the same thing to both sides: add or subtract something, multiply or divide by something. Try to gradually get the variable you are looking for all by itself. Sometimes it is very helpful to ask what has been done to that variable when the formula was created. In this case, your acceleration has been multiplied by 1/2 and by (Δt)^2. To undo these, you divide both sides by 1/2 (or multiply by 2) and divide both sides by (Δt)^2.

Δd = ½a(Δt)^2
2Δd = a(Δt)^2 after multiplying by 2
2Δd/(Δt)^2 = a after dividing by (Δt)^2

Delphi51 said:
Glad to see you on the physics forums. Welcome!

The general idea is to do the same thing to both sides: add or subtract something, multiply or divide by something. Try to gradually get the variable you are looking for all by itself. Sometimes it is very helpful to ask what has been done to that variable when the formula was created. In this case, your acceleration has been multiplied by 1/2 and by (Δt)^2. To undo these, you divide both sides by 1/2 (or multiply by 2) and divide both sides by (Δt)^2.

Δd = ½a(Δt)^2
2Δd = a(Δt)^2 after multiplying by 2
2Δd/(Δt)^2 = a after dividing by (Δt)^2

Wow, after your explanation it all came back to me.

Thank you :smile:

Most welcome!

is Δt the only thing squared or is it the entire term that it is a part of? if it is only Δt then why is Δt in parentheses?

Only delta t is squared. The brackets make it clear that it is delta t that is squared, not just t.
When you write (x*y*z)^2 it means all of x*y*z is squared as in
x*y*z*x*y*z.

Delphi51 said:
Only delta t is squared. The brackets make it clear that it is delta t that is squared, not just t.
When you write (x*y*z)^2 it means all of x*y*z is squared as in
x*y*z*x*y*z.

Thanks again

1. What are kinematic equations?

Kinematic equations are mathematical formulas that describe the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion. They involve variables such as distance, time, velocity, and acceleration.

2. Why do we need to rearrange kinematic equations?

Rearranging kinematic equations allows us to solve for the desired variable when others are known. This is useful in analyzing and predicting the motion of objects in different scenarios.

3. How do I rearrange kinematic equations?

To rearrange kinematic equations, you can use basic algebraic principles such as multiplying or dividing both sides by the same number, or moving terms from one side of the equation to the other.

4. What are the four basic kinematic equations?

The four basic kinematic equations are:

1. v = u + at

2. s = ut + ½at²

3. v² = u² + 2as

4. s = ½(u + v)t

5. How can I use rearranged kinematic equations in real-life situations?

Rearranged kinematic equations can be used in various real-life situations, such as calculating the distance traveled by a car given its initial velocity and acceleration, or determining the time it takes for a ball to reach the ground after being thrown upward with a certain velocity. These equations are also used in fields such as physics, engineering, and sports to analyze and predict the motion of objects.