Rearranging Trigonometric Functions

In summary, the conversation is about rearranging a formula for friction and confirming the validity of different variations of the formula. The formula in question is tanθ=sinθ/cosθ and the conversation confirms that it can be rearranged to sinθ=(tanθ)(cosθ) and cosθ=sinθ/tanθ. The use of these variations depends on the specific problem and the relationships between opposite, adjacent, and hypotenuse in the given triangle.
talknerdy2me
This is my very first post - so i hope I don't break any rules - its more of a formula rearranging question/confirmation so here goes...

Homework Statement

Currently working on friction - static/kinetic - so in my textbook it states in a side bar "info bit" that

tanθ=sinθ/cosθ my question is : can this equation be rearranged - see below...

Homework Equations

so if tanθ=sinθ/cosθ then does sinθ=(tanθ)(cosθ) and does cosθ=sinθ/tanθ

The Attempt at a Solution

I haven't come across any questions so far where i would need to use sinθ=(tanθ)(cosθ) and cosθ=sinθ/tanθ - more or less a general question of would I encounter having to use the sinθ=(tanθ)(cosθ) and cosθ=sinθ/tanθ rather than tanθ=sinθ/cosθ - numerically it works, but are these variations used?

Hope this wasn't clear as mud... If i can provide any more info - let me know!

:bugeye:

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello talknerdy2me,

Welcome to Physics Forums! :smile:

talknerdy2me said:
This is my very first post - so i hope I don't break any rules - its more of a formula rearranging question/confirmation so here goes...

Homework Statement

Currently working on friction - static/kinetic - so in my textbook it states in a side bar "info bit" that

tanθ=sinθ/cosθ my question is : can this equation be rearranged - see below...
Yes.

Homework Equations

so if tanθ=sinθ/cosθ then does sinθ=(tanθ)(cosθ) and does cosθ=sinθ/tanθ
Yep. You got it. :smile:

The Attempt at a Solution

I haven't come across any questions so far where i would need to use sinθ=(tanθ)(cosθ) and cosθ=sinθ/tanθ - more or less a general question of would I encounter having to use the sinθ=(tanθ)(cosθ) and cosθ=sinθ/tanθ rather than tanθ=sinθ/cosθ - numerically it works, but are these variations used?

Hope this wasn't clear as mud... If i can provide any more info - let me know!

:bugeye:

If it helps, this might make it a little more easy to remember:

[tex] \sin \theta = \frac{\text{opposite}}{\text{hypotenuse}} [/tex]
[tex] \cos \theta = \frac{\text{adjacent}}{\text{hypotenuse}} [/tex]
[tex] \tan \theta = \frac{\text{opposite}}{\text{adjacent}} [/tex]
If you can remember those, the other relationships you mentioned above should fall into place.

Likes berkeman

1. What is the purpose of rearranging trigonometric functions?

Rearranging trigonometric functions allows us to manipulate and simplify them, making it easier to solve equations and understand the relationships between different trigonometric ratios.

2. How do I rearrange a trigonometric function?

To rearrange a trigonometric function, you can use algebraic techniques such as factoring, distributing, and combining like terms. You can also use trigonometric identities and properties to simplify the function.

3. Why is it important to know how to rearrange trigonometric functions?

Rearranging trigonometric functions is crucial in solving problems in fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy. It also helps in understanding and proving trigonometric identities and relationships.

4. Can I rearrange any trigonometric function?

Yes, you can rearrange any trigonometric function as long as you follow the rules of algebra and trigonometry. However, some functions may be more complex to rearrange than others.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when rearranging trigonometric functions?

One common mistake is forgetting to use the correct trigonometric identity or property, which can lead to incorrect solutions. It is also important to keep track of negative signs and angles in radians or degrees to avoid errors.