Reason behind so called Optical illusion or Simultaneous contrast

In summary, the conversation discusses a phenomenon in which two blocks of the same color appear different when placed on different backgrounds. The reason for this is due to the way our retinal ganglion cells process visual information, causing illusions such as the Hermann grid and Craik-O'Brien-Cornsweet illusion. The person asking for literature on the physics behind this is informed that it is actually a matter of how our brains process things, not physics. They are encouraged to experiment with taking photos to see if the RGB values are the same.
shashipoddar1
Hello everyone,

I am really looking out for some literature which has reported the physics behind the occurrence of the phenomena in which two blocks of same color seems different when kept in different background. I have attached an image which depicts the query in a very evident manner.

I would be really happy if you can kindly send me the reasons for this.

With best regards

Attachments

• sc5.jpg
    sc5.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 521
Science news on Phys.org
I would think that this is more a question of biology and visual perception than physics.

shashipoddar1 said:
Hello everyone,

I am really looking out for some literature which has reported the physics behind the occurrence of the phenomena in which two blocks of same color seems different when kept in different background. I have attached an image which depicts the query in a very evident manner.

With best regards

According to "Basic Vision: an introduction to visual perception" by Snowden et. al., the underlying reason is that the last layer of cells in your eye, the retinal ganglion cells, perform some intermediate optical processing prior to the next stage of vision- the lateral geniculate nucleus.

The retinal ganglion cells signal the presence of edges or rapid changes within their visual field, and are classified as either 'on-center' or 'off center', depending on what happens to the firing rate when light hits the center of the visual field. Each retinal ganglion cell has concentric and antagonistic receptive fields to accomplish this function- the phenomenon is called 'lateral inhibition', and is responsible for the illusion you showed in addition to a few others: the Hermann grid and the Craik-O'Brien-Cornsweet illusion.

I very well agree to your reasons given for the phenomena, but suppose when i image this through camera it should have given me the same RGB value at center boxes. But does this really occur. I am really looking out for the physics behind this if it has been quoted anywhere.

There isn't any physics behind it. It's about how our brains process things.

shashipoddar1 said:
Hello everyone,

With best regards

Can somebody else please comment on this phenomena..??

shashipoddar1 said:
<snip>suppose when i image this through camera it should have given me the same RGB value at center boxes. But does this really occur. <snip>

Suppose you try it and tell us.

1. What is an optical illusion?

An optical illusion is a phenomenon in which our eyes perceive an image or object differently than it actually is. It occurs due to the way our brain processes visual information, often resulting in discrepancies between what we see and what is actually there.

2. What causes optical illusions?

Optical illusions are caused by a combination of factors, including the structure and function of our eyes, the way our brain interprets visual information, and external factors such as lighting and colors. These factors can create illusions that trick our brain into perceiving something that is not actually there.

3. How does simultaneous contrast work?

Simultaneous contrast is a type of optical illusion in which the appearance of one color is affected by the presence of another color. This occurs because our eyes and brain compare colors in relation to their surrounding colors, resulting in a shift in perception of the original color.

4. Are all optical illusions the same?

No, there are many different types of optical illusions, including geometric illusions, motion illusions, and cognitive illusions. Each type works in a different way and can create different effects on our perception.

5. Can optical illusions be explained scientifically?

Yes, scientists have been studying optical illusions for many years and have been able to explain the underlying mechanisms behind many illusions. However, there are still some illusions that remain unexplained and continue to fascinate researchers.