1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reason for the obvious movement of a block

1. May 2, 2015 #1
    aPY7RYdC9g0JNeBFW8AQ1E9S.jpg 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider the given system. It is obvious that the weight of the block will lead the system to move in the leftward direction. But the reason for that is not clear to me.
    2. Relevant equations
    Using the FBD of the block(B):
    ##mg-T=ma## where ##a## is assumed its downward acceleration.
    ##N=mA## where ##A## is the rightward acceleration as the normal force from the bigger block A is in the right ward direction. (Which is the problem)
    ##T+N=M\alpha## where I assume that ##\alpha## is the acceleration of block A in the leftward direction (as both T and N are in the left direction for A)
    3. The attempt at a solution
    So there is nothing pulling B towards left so why will go in the left direction ¿

2. jcsd
  3. May 2, 2015 #2

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What happens if the pulley and block A move to the left and B doesn't?

Edit: Seems to me you are over thinking the problem. It would probably be reasonable to assume that the mass of A >>B so that the acceleration to the left is small and the string remains vertical.

4. May 2, 2015 #3
    No... we can't assume that since in the question (from where I have asked this part) it's given that mass of A =40kg and mass of B is 20kg.

5. May 2, 2015 #4
    What if block B were to lose contact with block A. What could then possibly make block B accelerate to the left?

Chet

6. May 2, 2015 #5
    Hmmm.....
    If we assume that A loses contact with B and goes towards left a small distance ##x##, then the thread will form a small angle ##\theta## with the vertical because of which tension will have a leftward component along with the vertical one for B. Due to which "I think" the block B will move left. Is that what you want to say?

7. May 2, 2015 #6
    Yes. That's what I wanted you to say.

Chet

8. May 2, 2015 #7

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Me too.

9. May 4, 2015 #8
    Assuming there is no friction between block A and the surface it rest on, it will move.

10. May 4, 2015 #9
    Isn't the net force on the pulley pushing left even without contact?

11. May 4, 2015 #10
    Yes. Then what?

12. May 4, 2015 #11
    Isn't this what you asked?

"So there is nothing pulling B towards left so why will go in the left direction ¿"

13. May 4, 2015 #12
    Oh.... sorry. My bad.. but my doubt was already cleared. Thanks for a further push to my clarity for that obvious movement.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted