1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reasons which give support for quark substructure of p and n

1. May 26, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Give 2 reasons which give support for the quark substructure of protons and neutrons

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

My first reason was due to the fact that in deep elastic scattering of the electron from a proton, the analysis of the structure function (fourier transform) showed the charge distribution of the proton was not a dirac delta functon, and hence the proton has structure, further analysis found quarks were in fact point like and therefore fundamental.

I cannot think of another reason which is valid. I thought maybe something about how when you collide things at high energies quark antiquark pairs are created? but I don't think that right.
    Any help would be fab thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. May 26, 2016 #2

jambaugh

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't know how to hint without just telling for a question like this but consider the phenomenology of inelastic scattering of nucleons....
    also consider how quark model categorizes hadron spectra... that's not perfect as it assumes no better model than quarks without argument that no such better model exists but well it supports quark substructure *as a model* until something better comes along.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted