1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Math Recent grad what kind of jobs can i get with a BS in physics&math

1. Jul 27, 2009 #1
    I just grad with a BS in phy&math....but I'm having difficulty finding a job....I would prefer to get into finance/accounting (I want to go to grad skool nxt yr/ltr for a PhD in Statistics/a Masters in Computational Finance/Financial Math), but at this point, I just want a job...
    Ps.
    I'm in Philadelphia, PA (if that helps :)

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 27, 2009 #2
    If you're asking why jobs you can get after you all ready have a degree you're in some trouble. No job hunting before you graduated?

4. Jul 27, 2009 #3
    long story... d yr-long job I was supposed to have @ Oak Ridge Nat lab got cancelled...so my plan on working till nxt fall, when I hoped to begin a phd prog, is kinda shaky
    @ least d job part is...bt yeah, i did job hunt b4 grad, n i'm doing a summer internship now, but i've diff finding something 4 after...

5. Aug 2, 2009 #4
    If you have any facility in statistics there are almost always industrial jobs involving stats. This can be fairly terrible work, basically a grind, but it can pay very well. If you are planning on moving on later, perhaps this is just the ticket.

However, given the recent implosion of the financial sector, I imagine physicists in finance (quants) are probably not the most sought after at the moment.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook