1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Starting Jobs for PSM Grad + Physics BS?

1. Feb 14, 2016 #1
    Hey everyone!

I know this question has been asked a hundred times before, but my position is slightly different: I have a PSM (Professional Science Masters) in Nanoscience, as of Dec 2015, along with a Physics BS and am looking for starting jobs.

Does anyone have any recommendations? I find that my research experience is so generally scattered around several topics that it's hard to find a place where I am truly qualified, right out of the gate.
    I'm open to any job suggestions at all! Industry, academia, and everything that lies in between...

A few key points:
    • I have been very actively applying for Data Scientist positions, but without an active and developed GitHub, I haven't heard much back. I'll be working on some projects to leverage myself.
    • I prefer software and theory to experimentalism, but am up for anything! Including finance, healthcare, etc.
    • Ultimately, I want to be an entrepreneur, which is why I chose the PSM over an MSc. It combines in-depth study of physical phenomena with solid business developmental skills. I am not opposed to re-entering academia, however.
    • My research background is largely software, and my PSM project involved me building a Monte Carlo in C++ and Fortran to study charge carriers in Germanium MOSFETs.
    • For more info, my LinkedIn is https://www.linkedin.com/in/danielrlivingston [Broken]

Thank you all so much! I've been in a hiatus from this community but am looking forward to getting back into it.

Yours
    Daniel

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2016 #2
    You seem to be in a "What Color is Your Parachute?" situation with lots of possibilities.

Both the specific advice and the attitude of this book helped me a lot at similar points in my career. See:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/What_Color_is_Your_Parachute?

If you apply yourself to a truly national job search, I wouldn't expect it to be too hard to find a job in programming/data science.

Hiring managers often wonder what's up when they see a GPA for grad school, but not undergrad.

Putting some code in the public domain (Sourceforge, etc.) gives folks a chance to look at your code before they commit to an interview. In a national job search, it will cost a company significant $ to fly you out for an interview, and hiring managers are often limited to the number they can bring out. Provide a way for them to see your code without having to ask you for it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook