Recipes that use Thai curry paste without coconut ingredients?

• Thread starter Stephen Tashi
  • Start date
In summary, there are several recipes for dishes that use Thai curry paste without requiring coconut ingredients. Some options include Pad Thai with a substitute for coconut products and using any type of rice noodle or other types of noodles such as Udon. However, it may be possible to find coconut ingredients at the same place where Thai curry paste is purchased.
Stephen Tashi
Science Advisor
What are some recipes for dishes that use Thai curry paste but don't require coconut ingredients?
(I'm not allergic to coconuts. It's just that I often don't have coconut ingredients on hand.)

Physics news on Phys.org
Stephen Tashi said:
What are some recipes for dishes that use Thai curry paste but don't require coconut ingredients?
(I'm not allergic to coconuts. It's just that I often don't have coconut ingredients on hand.)
I would think a Pad Thai recipe in which one can use a substitute for coconut products.

https://www.feastingathome.com/15-minute-pad-thai/

https://www.recipetineats.com/chicken-pad-thai/

However, I would think one can find coconut ingredients at wherever one buys Thai curry paste.

One could use any kind of rice noodle, or other types. I like Udon noodles.

1. What is Thai curry paste and how is it used?

Thai curry paste is a blend of herbs and spices commonly used in Thai cuisine. It is typically made with ingredients such as lemongrass, galangal, chili peppers, and shrimp paste. It is used as a base for many Thai dishes, adding a spicy and flavorful kick to soups, stir-fries, and curries.

2. Can I use Thai curry paste without coconut milk or other coconut ingredients?

Yes, you can still use Thai curry paste without coconut ingredients. Coconut milk is often used to balance out the spiciness of the curry paste, but it is not essential. You can substitute it with other ingredients such as broth, cream, or yogurt to achieve a similar consistency and flavor.

3. Are there any vegetarian or vegan options for using Thai curry paste without coconut ingredients?

Yes, there are many vegetarian and vegan options for using Thai curry paste without coconut ingredients. You can use vegetable broth or coconut milk alternatives, such as almond or soy milk, to achieve a creamy texture. You can also add tofu, vegetables, or legumes to make a delicious and hearty curry.

4. How long does Thai curry paste without coconut ingredients last in the fridge?

Thai curry paste without coconut ingredients can last for several weeks in the fridge if stored properly in an airtight container. It is best to use it within 1-2 weeks for optimal freshness and flavor. You can also freeze the paste for longer storage.

5. Can I make my own Thai curry paste without coconut ingredients?

Yes, you can make your own Thai curry paste without coconut ingredients. There are many recipes available online that use alternative ingredients such as tomato paste, ginger, and lime juice to replace the coconut milk. You can also adjust the spice level and ingredients to your liking when making your own curry paste.