What are the advantages of circuits with reciprocity?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Amrutha.phy
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Theorem
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
9 replies · 3K views
Amrutha.phy
Messages
21
Reaction score
0
What are the advantages when a circuit produces the reciprocity property?
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
Amrutha.phy said:
What are the advantages when a circuit produces the reciprocity property?
It is an antenna? That could be an advantage -- or a disadvantage.
 
Isn't antenna an application of reciprocity phenomenon? What is the advantage of using a reciprocal circuit over normal circuit?
 
Not a lot, I think.

The interweb said something about optics. I could also see there might be some use in two port networks for microwave design. Being able to plug a circuit in backwards might be nice, but isn't usually a design consideration.

I know there was interest in a similar idea in computing. Reversible logic allows (theoretically at least) computing with no energy use.

That's the limit of my knowledge on the subject.
 
Might be related to the design. Thank you for the info Jeff :)
 
Amrutha - in the head line you write "reciprocity theorem" but in the text you mention reciprocity properties only.
Did you look into wikipedia for the "reciprocity theorem"? There you can find some information.

And here is more:http://electrical-engineering-portal.com/resources/knowledge/theorems-and-laws/reciprocity-theorem
 
LvW said:
Amrutha - in the head line you write "reciprocity theorem" but in the text you mention reciprocity properties only.
Did you look into wikipedia for the "reciprocity theorem"? There you can find some information.

And here is more:http://electrical-engineering-portal.com/resources/knowledge/theorems-and-laws/reciprocity-theorem
As far as my knowledge goes, Reciprocity property is explained by the theorem. I had to give a topic name, so I mentioned reciprocity theorem. I'll rephrase it. Thank you for the link. I'll go through it :)